1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need a quick way to remove horns off from a Texas Longhorn

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Anthony33, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Anthony33

Anthony33 New Member

I am wanting to know a quick easy way to remove horns from a Texas longhorn i am doing right now i would usually boil off the horns but there too large to fit in my cast iron pot i have and it needs to be quick because this going to a customer that is having a restaurant opening up soon

2. Buy a bigger pot! I use a long metal water trough that I purchased from the feed store.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Bigger pot as above or black bag them in the sun for several days and knock them off with a mallet. The archives should have the info you need if you search for cow horns, longhorns or something similar. If this is going into a restaurant, you had better make sure you take the time to clean it properly or you will have some issues with the new owner later on. Regardless of the "You want it when?" factor. Do the job the right way regardless of when he wants it. If there ends up being an issue because you hurried to please him, it will fall on you, not him.

4. Anthony33

Anthony33 New Member

Yeah either way i do it i am will do i the right way thnx i was just hoping if there was a faster way of doing this but i might try the black way how long will this take if i do this

5. 55 gallon drum! works everytime.

6. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

if you can get constant heat it should take 2-3 days, check them for looseness while there in the bag, don't open it near your wife!!!!!!!!!!!, and don't open it early, let them twist off on their own so they don't split trying to get them off

7. Anthony33

Anthony33 New Member

Well for one i am not married and two I am gonna give it a try like i said i am willing to give anything a try

8. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    Black bag with heat then hook a winch to it and go slow

9. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Here you go. Fastiest, not the easiest:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,298799.msg2055949.html#msg2055949

10. Anthony33

Anthony33 New Member

Thanks for the link looks like an efficient way of releasing the horn caps off the longhorn i am working on isnt that big of one but decent size still big enough that it wont fit in my iron pot but i might try this once i have them off i will let you know how well it goes thanks for the ideas either way those puppise have to come off before they go to the beetles

11. Anthony33

Anthony33 New Member

Oh yeah and one more thing were can i find these heaters at in the past i have looked all over for big enough heaters and i couldnt find any for some apparent reason