1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial fin attachment ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by TnMatt, Aug 7, 2013.

1. TnMatt

TnMatt New Member

What is the best way to attach artificial fins as far as just getting a good bond of the fin to the form. Some of the artificial fins have a " tab" but some don't. And the ones with the tab still don't wanna stay put very well. I been using bondo, which works, just not as we'll as I would like.

2. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

Epo Grip Fin Magic. That's all I use! Feathers nicley and is very strong.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I also use fin magic, after a gel superglue, but don't think it feathers super great. It is easy to use and does create a strong bond. Hot glue and epoxy is commonly used.

4. K.N Fish Taxidermy

It feathers great for me. Just mix up some blue dawn and water. Dip your fingers in it. Won't stick to you at all.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Magic Smooth

6. Jillian@AnglersArtistry

[email protected] Working hard to make the world a fishy Place!

We do show this step as part of all of our painting Dvd's The one DVD that show all the fins would be the rainbow trout Reproduction. I'l ask Rick if he can put a video clip of this step on the site for free downloading or viewing like the eye painting and the eye setting visa clips.
    http://www.anglersartistry.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_1&products_id=57

7. Ken instead of soap try using alcohol as it won't leave any residue like dawn.

8. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Active Member

X2!! Feathers much better too!

9. TnMatt

TnMatt New Member

Thanks, sounds good. I have wondered about the fin magic.

10. j.mik.

j.mik. Member

No doubt about fin magic. And those guys are right about the alcohol. I thought about using fin magic for a while, but I was sold when I first saw it used in an A.A. dvd. The stuff sells itself. Just one of the many benefits I've found in my growing A.A. collection

11. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Very cool! I will try the alcohol out! Thanks! I use that for smoothing out my apoxiesculpt.

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the tabs - I guess being a Structural Designer for 20 years it just makes sense to me! But, many ways to skin a cat here. I like to grind out a slot and sometimes you can get it so the slot is perfect and the fin will stay right where you want it with a nice tight fit. Other times you need to grind the tabs as well. Once I get things test fitted (and dust cleaned off), I simply hold the fin in place/tab inserted and squeeze a couple of drops of hot glue on. Letting gravity do it's thing. Getting some of that glue into the slot helps with adhesion better than just a surface connection. Hold for a minute or so until it sets up and go to the next fin. You're just looking for a decent hold to keep them in place when you go back with your epoxy. Sorta like a tack weld on metal. After 10 minutes I'm ready to go back with Apoxie Sculpt and finish the job.

I like Fisherman's Tale/Envision3D fins. Semi flexibile material and a good tab typically to work with.

13. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Me too. You can really handle the blanks without getting a stress crack or other damage to those fins. I like Randy Bs for thinness/shaping/transparency and they flex a bit too (Ie30xx). What are those Envision fins made of?

Best, Scott

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I like Randy's blanks too and have a nice perch here I'll be finishing soon for myself. I sure wish Randy would offer a couple of SM, LM and Walleye blanks (hint-hint!) ;) I think Fisherman's Tale (still can't get use to the new name!) fins are made of layers of fiberglass cloth and resin. They can get a bit thin at times, but you never have to worry about them cracking as they flex a bit. You can also heat them and bend them a bit too if you want. But, usually they come so nice all I do is take a dremmel to the edges to rough them up a bit and they're good to go. Their fit has always been very good and I think Dave doesn't interchange fin sets out with similar fish sizes (or at least as much) as some of the other suppliers. I'm working on one of F.T's big Steelhead blanks right now for a guy in California and it's a very nice blank! This one's seams are TIGHT!!!!

15. den007

den007 Active Member

Nothing slicker than Tech Bond for initial fast bond. Followed by the epoxies suggested.

16. TnMatt

TnMatt New Member

Well let me ask this, is a Mac z scaler worth having, I was thinking about just making some small silicon molds of some different scales, would this work

17. One comment on the alcohol used to feather the fin magic, make sure that you seal your paints if you're using any water based products (e.g. hydromist, woods and water, wildlife colors.) Probably common sense but you'll regret it if you forget!

18. den007

den007 Active Member

Mac Z scaler? I find them useless, patterned, unreal. Seams just smooth them out.

Alcohol and paint........I use a 50/50 mix to thin water based paints with, how is it that using it to smooth epoxy messes up paint????

19. Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly... I've been known to do that. What I meant was that just as lacquer thinner will clean lacquer-based paints off your fish/fin, so it goes with isopropyl alcohol and water-based paints. If you paint your fin, glue it in place by whatever means you prefer, and then proceed to glob on fin magic and try and feather it over your painted fin using alcohol... you will find yourself smearing and wiping your paint away at the edge of the feathering... that is if you don't seal your fin with an aerosol based clear coat or similar product. Does that make more sense?

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Fin Magic SUCKS out loud for attaching fins. It works well at first, but in a year the area around that fin will be yellow. Don't ask me why. The fins I cast with it never turn yellow, and I like it fine for that, but attaching fins or using it like you would smooth out flat doesn't work long term. I did it a lot and now I have dozens of examples all over the place of what happens long term.