1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial fin attachment ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by TnMatt, Aug 7, 2013.

1. I was made aware of the yellowing factor before starting to use it. Hence, I paint of the area on which I have used it with w&w white till it's opaque. I then brush/draw my scales in and blend colors as needed. I haven't seen any yellow on the ones that I painted back over top. However, I'd be open to suggestions on a product that does the same thing, as fast and as strong. It's not so much a fin attachment for me (the glue does that) as it is a blending media where the fin meets the body (I don't use much and don't feather it out very far). Using magic sculpt/ apoxie sclupt, I find it takes longer and after having "whited out" the fin magic, I have just as much time into painting that area to match as I would with epoxy putties.

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

It will yellow right through the paint, at least it has on every fish I've used it on. Whiting it out did nothing to stop it for me. I use a product very similar to magic smooth. It doesn't dry nearly as fast but it looks good forever and is actually quite stronger.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Alright Cole, spill the beans. What is it? Inquiring minds want to know.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

???? What is what?

5. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

X-2...secure the fin ( tab, pin, hot glue, super glue, etc) and then Magic Smooth......nothing better for an ultra smooth transition and a permanent, solid attachment.
    Note I will on occasion make a "base' for, lets say the pec fin and let dry. I will use Apoxie Sculpt for this initially. Rick calls these Fin Keys. Once dried, the fin fits in the custom base or fin butt you've created, like a puzzle piece.
    Glue in and I will still use a transition layer of M Smooth so I can put the tiny scale definition back with a silicone scale mold ( I have molds of different size scales and fish I made the molds from)......

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

The stuff I'm using is basically Magic Smooth, but it comes in 2 gallon kits. For the average taxidermist that is way more than they need, so I would just suggest magic smooth. I'm using max bond thixotropic epoxy.

8. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I use smooth out also. I have found if you brush over a thin layer of Tuf-Fin or similar product afte dry it really seals the deal on the transition.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    OK, thank you Cole. I've Never heard of it.

10. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Although the pec fin is real, it was cut off and re-attached with the method I described. Us fish guys can tell but I dont think the average person can tell it was re-attached....

Attached Files: