1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Real fish fins?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by TnMatt, Aug 8, 2013.

1. TnMatt

TnMatt New Member

Okay so I like the fin magic for artificial fins. My next question, I have seen more than a couple of time where guys will take the real fins off, dry them and reattach them. How is this done? Is it just as simple as that(seems like nothing ever is). And do you reattach the same way as artificial fins with hot glue or super glue and fin magic. Also, if you do remove the fin to dry do you still use a backing like silk span? Thanks my fish are getting better am just wanting to get the best look whit my fins.

2. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Some take them off because it might be easier to work on the fish, and paint it, others might want to pose the fin a certain way and it's easier with the fin off. You just snip it off at the fin butt. Dry it and finish it the way you normally would. To re-attach it, you just glue it and finish the joint with apoxy or what ever you use. Not that hard really, just a couple extra steps to the process.

3. bowhunr

bowhunr New Member

Like fishnart24 said...not much to it. I always keep a few fins on hand from fish to use as spares to replace badly damaged fins on client's fish. I either save the wall side fin or save fins from fish my family catches. I just card them and store them until needed. I reattach and epoxy the fin butt details before I paint the fish obviously.

4. TnMatt

TnMatt New Member

I figured this was the case, it just seems like every time I try to attack a "simple" project it end up being a full blow job, usually never ending as I planned. Haha