1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st. Whitetail Shoulder Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by K.N Fish Taxidermy, Aug 8, 2013.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't do finish on deer for 2 weeks after they are mounted, I'm not saying it takes that long, just my way of doing things. Check the inner ears and the brisket, these areas are the last to dry in my shop. If it is tanned no problem to rehydrate, I can't speak on a DP'd hide.

2. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

Thanks for the info 3bears! Really appreciate it bud!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Just because a deer has his neck/ head in a "sneak" position doesn't mean he is "sneaking" away from danger. I have video of deer walking in a relaxed manner with there heads low and neck out stretched as well as sleepy looking deer just standing there in a "sneak" position. I'm not trying to start an argument, just relating my observations.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    No argument here Tanglewood, I was just asking if he had a reference pic or was he guessing. I don't doubt you have pics showing it. I never said he was wrong. To me the full sneak depicts the deer sneaking through cover for one reason or another and if they are doing that they likely are more alert. He asked for input and I gave mine nothing more.

5. K.N Fish Taxidermy

I have seen photos of bucks in a full sneak before with there eye relaxed. Here is a an article in the Breakthrough I was getting reference from. I was liking the look of the relaxed. So I tried to make it look like it. I still need to work in that area though. I have learned alot from you guys already so thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Notice in the very 1st photo eye lashes angle, and very last photo the spread

7. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Yea I see what you are talking about! I should have moved them pointing down a little more.

8. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    That's a beautiful cape on that deer. Good job on your first mount. Looks better than mine did for sure. I would rehydrate and tweak some of the things mentioned here, if you don't it will bug you every time you look at it in the future. Then again I have not used krowtann before either so check into that first.

9. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Yes that's what I plan on doing Big Dan. I am going to read up on rehydrating Krowtann first though.

10. dozier

dozier New Member

Reference photos will help you more than anything .

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

That is good for a first deer. You will do real good. It's not about doing it all perfect, but building on each mount until all of the facets just automatically happen.

12. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks Greg! I am writing down everything everyone has said to apply to my next one. Learned a ton on this deer! With Rick Carter A to Z WT dvd I am sure I will learn a lot more.

13. Hey Ken, as far a re hydrating just put a wet cloth over what you want to fix, and bag it for a few hours. For your first, not bad, a little reference and you on your way. It does look like the antlers are set back a little to far to me. That pulls all the skin from behind the nose, back and becomes a domino effect from there. Just take a few measurements on your next one and it will make all the difference. Oh and loose the pins, with a good hide paste, you don't need them. Good luck and have fun at it.
    Jim

14. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks a bunch Jim! Appreciate the advice!

15. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

I don't even think the accupuncture would have helped my first deer look that good. It is a good first mount and I would echo what the others have said. Keep mounting and it will happen! Do get the dvd and reference. Good job! - Tim