1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrush paint question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jimbo72, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Hello to all. I am looking to buy some airbrush paint. I was wanting to get some of your opinions on what type of paint to get, water based, oil or acrylic. Which is better in your opinion. What are the basic colors needed for game heads and mammals.
    Howie

2. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Search the archives, you will find varying answers and loads of info

3. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Polytranspar lacquer

4. I use Lifetone and Polytranspar Laquers with ventilation and a good mask. Works great, dries fast. I use Badger Velocity and Badger Patriot airbrushes.

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've tried water based, but have never used any that are as easy or get as good of results as lacquer based. That said, polytranspar or lifetone.

6. BRTX

BRTX New Member

Tried both, but the lacquers always seem to win. When doing fish, the water base takes a little too long to dry, and I get finger prints in the paint.

7. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I agree with the Polytranspar lacquers. Been using both acrylic and laquers but slowly switching to all lacquers. I do have a ventilation fan which helps tremendously.

Todd B

8. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

Lacquer all the way

9. Tuttuman

Tuttuman New Member

Hydromist water based paints by Lifetone. Purchase a Mammal Paint Kit from Lifetone, that's what I did. But I think they only sell in Lacquer Based so you will need to deal with the fumes.

10. My preference is Lifetone's Hydro-mist. Its water based paint....provides easy clean up and great results