1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Maggots in a two day old mount?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wheatfields, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Wheatfields

Wheatfields The woods are my home

It has been hot as hell here and Im new at Taxidermy !
    I mounted a deer on Saturday am and now there are tiny little Maggots coming out of corner of eye area ( Monday am ). I was wondering if any of you guys or gals knew how to rid these things before problems happen ? Advice will be greatly appreciated..

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Think maybe there's some meat left in there???

3. Wheatfields

I fleashed what I thought was good and opened eye lids to the follicles ? Something has to be in there ... there were about 10 between the two eyes should have mounted it in the house w AC ,i guess. Garage is where work is done / it was humid and hot . Now I have these little shits !

4. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

Maggot's?

what were your steps to get it from a dead deer to where it was prior to mounting it up? was it tanned at all?

5. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

are you mounting a raw skin with dry preserve,? if so it needs to be kept in a reasonable temperature with a fan running on it , until the skin starts to dry some

6. Wheatfields

It was tanned with McKenzie tan and McKenzie ultimate acid step by step. Not sure if it's the heat or humidity that is causing this problem but want to get it stopped before we lose the mount. What I need is advice on how to kill these bastards. This has never happened before and need to know how to get it corrected. Any advice Low T or George Roof?

7. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

8. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

If there are maggots a step or process was omitted or not properly done. It must not have been fleshed well and some meat or skin is not properly preserved. If it were done correctly there would be nothing to rot or putrify and the maggots would not be there. The only remedy is to check your process on the next one and make sure all steps are followed. Heat or no heat I have never had that happen.

Todd B

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Even if a slight amount of meat were left, the pickle and tanning would have taken care of it. How much was left in an eye area, if properly fleshed, shaved and tanned, could not have been enough to draw maggots. Did you mount the cape back on the carcess,LOL. just kidding.

10. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

do you have flies buzzing around? maggots only come from flies. Take some pics of what you have and it may help you

11. Heed the advice above.... BUT to solve the problem at hand, short of throwing it all away.... You can probably do the same thing I do on my Mummifications... Spray the problem areas of the mount with 70% or 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. Not only will it keep the flies off, but it will kill ANY maggots or eggs. Spray until dripping. This will also help pull the moisture out of the hide and keep more flies away until it dries. Do this in a well ventilated area.

12. Wheatfields

I have seen this kind of shit on first posts before and how people say they will never post again by responses they receive. It was very hot that day and we mounted it in the garage. Flies everywhere! With me not having a lot of experience, I didn't want this to get out of control and wanted to get the problem solved ASAP and with anything, when something is wrong and you need it fixed, you ask to get advice on how to correct the problem. Thanks to you for reasonable questions on the steps that would make this occur and for those of you that just wanted to put your two cents in, sounds like you just wanted your asses kicked. For all of you that have come across this post, a professional at McKenzie said to spray lacquer thinner(alcohol) on it and put a fan on it in a cool environment and the problem is solved. Exclamanation Point bitches!!! Now onto the next page of taxidermy.
    P.S. 6'2 and 205lbs and would love to kick the hell out of some smart asses

13. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

Your cocky for being new.

14. Wheatfields

No not cocky . Good at most things I try hard at . The first to admit if I'm wrong and the last to stand anywhere with my hands in my pockets if I know some one needs help My kids will be raised the same way and More people should be like that .

15. I hope your kids don't pick up your foul language and kick everyone's @ss attitude.

16. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Not sure what you got your panties in a wad over. There were no posts that were negative toward you in any way. The fact is that there is a reason there are maggots and it has to be a step that was done incorrectly. No need to take offense just learn from the mistake and correct it the next time. Yes alcohol or lacquer will kill the maggots and help remove moisture. But more importantly figure out why they are there and prevent it in the future.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Or, he can just spray maggots off his next mounts and every time he mounts one, just a good spray. No need to figure out why it happens when you can continue to put band aids on the problem with them. I can only think of one person on this thread that needs some ass kicked.

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Josh, heres a straight forward answer for you. They dont know if youre a beginner that mounted a raw cape or a well tanned one, thus the initial comments, in all fairness. But, maggots usually suggest meat is present. If you come back and tell them its been pickled and tanned, and even tell them the product, it would stand to reason that there might be another reason why the flies were present. I can tell you with certainty that when a mount has enough scent to attract the female egg laying flies, and moisture is also present, she will lay egg clusters, and they will hatch into maggots if the moisture remains. I can also tell you that if it dries out and no meat is present, that the maggots will immediately drop away and dry up. Flies are common in many shops at this time of the year. Youll need to run a fan on fresh mounts to get the drying process started and to discourage the flies. A shop with excessive heat and open doors will see these flies. Air conditioned or fanned areas typically dry fast and dont see the fly problem.

19. Wheatfields

Brown eyes black hair and redneck a 205 6'2" piece of ass is kinda big but maybe you like it that way ? Ill just leave the kids out of it because I am talking to grown men not a bunch of pussies ! The answer I surprisingly did not find on here was spray the damn maggots or area w laquer . Bill Yox thanks for the info you pretty much nailed it . We my wife and I 12 shoulder mounts new to taxidermy mounted that buck w the garage door open it was humid cape just thawed ( wet ) and when I stiched the y insistion up and tucked eyes and finished there were flys a few like 5 flying around the mount I shut the garage no fan ! Next day nothing returned Monday noon from rain out work day and shit fire something's wrong here (salt hung fleashed pickle shaved pickle shaved tanned ect ect w McKenzie tan and ultimate acid no short cuts thinned cape . Eyes being the only place that a fly would have to land n lay I don't know ? I had plastic stuffed in nasal and down n ears . Ducts tucked tight as ill get out . So back to the plain and simple question that I asked ... And advice greatly appreciated ! But most of the shit that was said was just a bunch of 2 centers . Got the question answered like I said , thanks again to those who were trying to help us . For the 2 cent Susie's once a puss always ,well you know how it goes ....

20. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

Anger problems?.......