1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #30

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Atwater, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Let's get this going.

My name is Scott Jennings, owner of S.R. Jennings Taxidermy in...California...but please don't hold that against me. We specialize in birds, but have recently expanded into fish. BOTW has been a great inspiration in the past for me, and I'm very glad to see the tradition continued. I've just rebuilt my old shop into a modern studio, so no new work from me right now. I'll see if I can find an old pic or two to post up later, but for now, let's see some that outstanding work we've all grown so used to seeing in these threads, and don't be shy about it! Songbirds, waterfowl, upland, raptors, all comers welcome and much appreciated!

Ok, a little something about myself. I fell in love with taxidermy when I was a boy, as I spent most of my spare time riding by bike to various streams, lakes, cemetary ponds, pretty much anywhere there was water, and fishing long after curfew and suffering many groundings. I could never afford to have a fish mounted, so I saved what little money I could make, and cut out an ad from Northwestern School of Taxidermy. The school materials took every penny I had, so I resorted to carving styrofoam packing material into fish forms with a jack knife, and making homemade paper mache for...everything. I have scars from using coat hangers to wire birds, and have always wondered if all the calorax I used was really going to kill me.

Through the years, between college and various careers in programming, systems administration, and other mind numbingly boring occupations, I made several attempts to start a taxi business. First time, white bass eradication was taking place, and ALL of our local fish were poisoned. Second attempt, waterfowl limits had been drastically reduced, drought was upon us, and most bird taxis were mounting chickens in baskets for LA housewives. Not for me, although later in life Stefan Savidas would tell me that he stayed afloat during those days by doing the same. I guess I was a little too cocky back then. Anyway, you get the picture.

I've just entered my 6th year of owning my own full time studio, and I can say with great certainly that I'm here to stay, barring any complications from that calorax thing. I have a potential new employee who will hopefully be able to take some of the bird work load off my shoulders so I can spend some time with fish. Life is good, and I'm very proud to be part of a rich history of naturalists, preperators, fish heads and bird brains.

Here's one of my favorite mounts from 3 or 4 years back...

[​IMG]

2. Here's another one I always liked. Hens don't get enough play, IMHO...

[​IMG]

3. And one more from way back, just to help get this week rolling...

[​IMG]

4. jevic035

jevic035 Member

hello scott
    please to meet you .. nice work .will anyways thank you for stepping up for the botw 30

5. nice work,Scott! :)

6. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

Great birds! Don't have much to share yet but I'll be finishing a pile later this week...

Attached Files:

7. My 1st Hoodie.. kind of an interesting bird to work with and looking forward to someday getting a drake to work with

Attached Files:

8. Here is a snipe from a few weeks back

Attached Files:

9. Thanks guys, and a great start for the week! Love to see the surf pintail, I've got a bunch I need to get to. And just when I mention hens, a nice hen hoody! I'm with you rvandonsler, I've never had the opportunity to mount a drake, or a hen for that matter. Now Snipe, opportunities yes...desire...not so much! Nice job Mire on what has to be a tough bird to mount, nice work on the head/neck.

10. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Well done Scott, your gadwall x pintail is a fantastic work and I love your pintail hen.
    Ryan, your long-tailed looks great and rvandonsler, for your first hoody ... good job, and "Paula" - never did a flying snipe, but yours inspirate me to do one.
    Will post something this evening, Rainer.

11. Roger that, I shall endeavor not to disappoint! Now come on folks! There's a rumor that everyone who posts on this thread will be liked on facebook...;)

Of course I would be remiss not to mention my obvious unfair head start...so I've got THAT going for me! ;D

[​IMG]

12. It doesn't happen often but I just couldn't get into mounting a duck I was doing for myself today so I put it back in the freezer and decided to finish this one instead.I think I might be burnt out after mounting 170 birds... :eek:

Attached Files:

13. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

Birdstuffer nice looking rooster. I hear you on getting a little burnt out. I'm finishing up my best bird year ever at just over 300 birds and getting ready to help the other guys out on big game for a little break from the feathers.

14. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

Relax...im a professional? :eek: :p ;)

NICE Ditchchicken birdstuffer, you nailed that attitude!

15. "Relax...im a professional? :eek: :p ;)"

Yeah 2wbdft, I thought it was funny, but I'm being told it's... "disturbing".

Birdstuffer, nice rooster! Looks like he's about to cackle and flush...and embarrass me for my shooting skills while my dog looks on in shame.

16. Now that I know how many birds some of you do in a year I feel like a "whiner"! I'm only burnt out because I've been working 6 days a week since October and haven't done anything fun or taken a vacation in a LONG time. That is going to change real soon. I'm shooting for 200 birds this season! 8)

17. jevic035

jevic035 Member

ttt