1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bird taxidermy questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by novicestuffer, Aug 13, 2013.

1. novicestuffer

novicestuffer New Member

I am going to start learning to mount birds and I figure the best way is to jump right into knowing that I am going to make some mistakes and the birds will look like junk for a while...so i have been reading the turorials, watching videos etc....

does anyone have a tutorial on making a bird flesher....and are there alternatives to a tumbler? I figure ill get a tumbler eventually but dont have one now....

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'll say this neither a flesher or tumbler are required to mount birds, especially a tumbler. I have mounted a number of birds prior to owning a flesher and still do not own a tumbler and have no intentions of owning one. A scissors and a wire brush can flesh birds, it is more work but, doable. I myself prefer using a flesher, because once you figure out how to not rip the hell out of skins, you can get them fleshed quicker. There is a learning curve using a flesher. My order of mounting birds is skin, wash skin to remove any blood from feathers, flesh on wheel, wash again multiple times rinse well, drip dry a bit, outside, into gas, remove from gas, hang let gas drip and fumes dissipate, blow dry feathers with old vacuum, reversed, wire legs and wings, borax, mount.

3. novicestuffer

novicestuffer New Member

Thank u 3bears.....'preciate it

4. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

Get the flesher skip the tumbler 3 bears is right

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A plastic tote of corn cob grit works well in aiding the drying process. just put skin in let it sit a while and roll it around by hand.

6. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Welcome .Enjoy your journey of learning.

7. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Trash bag and hardwood shavings will work for a tumbler. Hell throw the trash bag in a laundry mats dryer with the heat off, and two quarters later your bird is dried.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You might be singing a different tune if the bag breaks and fills the dryer with saw dust and feathers. ;)

9. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

I agree with goose. Before you put a customer or comp skin to the flesher.... practice ,practice and more practice. Practice with a Sharpie line on a pice of wax paper. When you can get the line off the paper without going through, you are ready to try the bird skin! Good luck and hang in there- Tim

10. petasucks

petasucks New Member

Big piece of pvc pipe with caps at the end then fill with saw dust or grit of your choice. Cap both ends then let your dog or kids roll it around the yard for 10-20 mins. Presto bird tumbler