1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Happy Birthday, Forum! Fifteen Years Old

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ken Edwards, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Today is the 15th anniversary of the Taxidermy Net Forum. If you were one of the 263 people who visited the Taxidermy Net on August 14, 1998, you were greeted by our home page announcing a new section:

[​IMG]

If you clicked on the link to the NEW TAXIDERMY FORUMS, you were taken to our original welcome page:

[​IMG]

On that day, there were three new posts made to the Forums, a welcoming post by me, a question about lobster injection chemicals which went unanswered, and a question about whitetail antlers which was answered by Rick Carter, John Bellucci, and Bill Yox. Talk about consistency! Here are the posts from that first day, still available in the archives.

• <a href="http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/BeginnersArticles/NKH9O6.html"> Welcome to the Beginners Taxidermy Forum (8/14/1998)</a> Size: 4K. Last Modified: Tuesday, October 13, 1998
    • <a href="http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/ReptileArticles/NL6V75.html">New Chemical for Crustations? (8/14/1998)</a> Size: 2K. Last Modified: Friday, August 14, 1998
    • <a href="http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/DeerTaxiArticles/NL9GB4.html">Rubbery Whitetail Antlers (8/14/1998)</a> Size: 11K. Last Modified: Saturday, March 6, 1999

When the Forums came online, we averaged about 300 unique visitors each day.
    By 2000 it was up to 1600 visitors.
    In 2005 we averaged 6900 visitors.
    Since 2010 we have averaged about 10,000 unique visitors each day, accounting for over 25,000 visits per day, which means most people check the Forum several times per day. We currently serve almost 1/2 a million page views each day, which is quite a load!

Here is what I wrote fourteen years ago, on the occasion of the first anniversary of the Taxidermy Net Forums:

I wish to offer my sincere thanks to all of our members and contributors for making the Taxidermy Net Forum what it is today. This groundbreaking experiment could not have been possible without the content that you have provided. It is hard to believe that there have been over one and one-half million posts about taxidermy! You have my assurance that we will keep the Forum free and open to all relevant discussions for many years to come.

2. BEAVERS

BEAVERS New Member

Ken, you should be proud of yourself for pulling off a dream of this magnitude.

Here's to many years to come...:))

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Awesome! Happy birthday Taxidermy.net! Thanks Ken for providing such a great information highway for taxidermy!

4. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Thanks for all you have done and for all you will be doing

Happy Birthday
    This is Great Website

Date Registered:
    August 29, 2006, 03:15:10 PM
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Local Time:
    August 14, 2013, 01:54:05 PM
    Language:
    English

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

How cool. I read our exchange above on antlers in velvet, and one thing that stands out as never changing...I STILL cant do computers! It looks like I was talking in duplicate in that thread from way back. Wish we were able to edit back then, lol...

Well Ken, you did it, you created what many would consider the single most useful tool for taxidermist everywhere. Thanks and congrats!

6. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Thank YOU, Bill. I was remiss in not recognizing the contribution of our crack team of Moderators who have helped to keep me on the straight and narrow when I had a momentary lapse in judgment. Thanks to my friends Rick Carter, Micheal Vaden and Bill Yox for always being there with their wisdom and consistency.

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Wow ... has it been that long?
    I don't remember when I first joined, but it's been a while.

8. dablaw

dablaw Member

I for one want to express my gratitude for Taxi-net...I enjoy the good and for the most part stay away from the bad..It's so easy to just hit the back button..This has been a great tool for me and enjoy it very much...Thanks Ken...You ARE the man....David.

9. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Congrats to you ken, and thanks to all the moderators.

10. congrats!!!!!

I have learned a lot over these years, and I am still learning today, thanks to TAXIDERMY.NET!!!

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No wonder I feel a decade and a half older. GEEZ.

Thanks Ken for one of the few things that maintain my sanity (that's what I call it.)

12. taxi_grl_ga

taxi_grl_ga Active Member

Happy Birthday Taxinet!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for always being here for us, no matter what we need or when we need it, no matter how rude and crude we may be at times. EVERYTHING provided by this forum and its moderators is greatly appreciated and I look forward to many more years of education and entertainment!

now....on to other business matters....

The paddle is warmed up and ready. Who's takin' one for the team this year??
    It's O-N-L-Y 15 licks.

13. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Thank you for this site and ALL it's contributors!

14. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Happy Birthday Taxinet!!!!

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Wow...this forum has taken up a lot of time in my life ;D

16. Thank you and congratulations,this is a very good website to learn and bounce and learn new ideas and ways to do things.It helps a lot of people.

17. Thanks to all those involved that put in the time work and monetary support......we appreciate you and what you are doing for the industry!

18. dablaw

dablaw Member

LOL at Jenna...See Ken bent over.."Thank you sir may I have another"...lol..

19. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Definately on of the most useful tools I've ever run across. I appreciate that the forum is here!

20. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Ken, you've done a great service for the Taxidermy Industry. Congrats on your 15th anniversary!!