1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

something I dont miss about NY deer season

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bill Yox, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Well, besides plowing snow, that is. Lol. I sure dont miss the annual deer round up and testing, tagging and seperating we used to have to do when I was still raising deer in New York state before deer season.

[​IMG]

2. Diesel_19

Diesel_19 New Member

3. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Here in Ohio the USDA has recently taken over the management of all captive deer, from what I've been told all they have done is make it much more difficult.
    All deer over 12 mos have to be cwd tested at the expense of the owner if they die or are killed. All have to be tagged with a USDA tag and other things I can't remember.

4. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

How are you making out with the Georgia heat?

5. Bill Yox

Dave, NY did that for years before they ever got Ohio on a program. The state paid for the test though...if they even test them at all...

Jon, the south has been wet and modestly hot, but not much different than what Im used to.

6. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Deer farmer friend of mine calls and says his biggest breeder buck is about to die and wants to know if I want the cape, hell yes i want the cape.
    He calls me today and said the CWD tester guy wouldn't allow him to cape it first so he slit the throat right under the jaw line.
    Ruined a beautiful cape that I wpould have paid big money for.
    These kind of assholes make me sick, they could care less about th edeer farmer or anything else, give them a little power and look out.

7. Bill Yox

We just caped them back so there was no need to cut it, before they got there. I hear ya though, its sad.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Just do as Bill said Dave, I always get over to my buddies first and cape it out. I'll be damned if they are going to ruin a good cape!

9. davehyer

davehyer New Member

They wouldn't let him, 170 inch velvet buck perfect cape and he cut it from ear to ear, also had a doe with one velvet antler and he did the same thing to that one.

10. Bill Yox

Theres no such thing as they wouldnt let him. The deer dies, he capes it beyond the tonsils and lymph nodes, leaving the cape attached to the nose, and then arranges for the agent to come by and clip what they need. The deer belongs to him.

11. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I agree, but this is all new in Ohio and this was his first encounter with the cwd guys( USDA) so he didn't really know what to do. It cost him $80 per deer and he specifically asked the guy if he could cape it first and they told him no.

I'm sure they were just ill informed, but it cost me 2 sweet capes.

12. we have to test everything over 12 months that dies also, call and report it to the state. Had a dog kill one though and since i knew cause of death they didnt require it to be tested. Were now under a CWD monitoring program that the farmers pay must be vet checked once a year, still love doing it though.

13. Bill Yox

Catfish, that doesnt sound right. They dont test for cwd as a cause of death, they use ANY loss as a way of testing to MONITOR the cwd status of the live deer. Thats because theres still no accepted live cwd test, only post mortem. Even captive deer that are shot are tested in the states Im familiar with.

Dave, I hear ya, just letting you know what can be done. Just make sure the skin still is attached so you havent removed tissue/exchanged deer, etc. Sorry to hear about those capes.

14. Bill Yox

" Had a dog kill one though and since i knew cause of death they didnt require it to be tested."

Thats the part I was questioning. I guess they do it differently yet in AL. My understanding was they used ANY death as a way to get that herds tissue sample, rather than have to kill a percentage of the herd annually to obtain it. We love our deer! Lol.

15. we are required by the state ag dept to report and test every death over 12 months they said in the documents i was sent for cwd monitoring. we are also required to be vet checked at least once a year for symptoms of it in the herd. were not required to test hunter shot deer though might be soon who knows. its all part of the states new cwd monitoring program. the one killed by the dog was before this was mandatory im sure it would be required now guess i should have mentioned that.