1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trademarks??

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Beltonbanger, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Anyone every get a trademark for their operation? WHat are the odds? Criteria?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The bare minimum to trademark anything is around $3,000- $5000. In most cases, it's just not worth the agony, especially in the taxidermy (or any specialty job) arena. The actual "trademark" can be as low as $100 but then you're going to need to have the time copyrighted (done simply by imbossing a circled "c" on the item.) The REAL costs come with patenting the item.

If you're looking for protection, then the patent is the only way. Trademarks will be applical only in the area you live and that's if someone else doesn't already have that name. Then you have to expand that coverage to adjacent counties, regions, or nationally. The costs keep going up every time you have to have a lawyer file for trademark protection.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Mine is a dirty joke. George knows this!

4. damonkus

damonkus Member

If you are trying to protect your shop name from being used by someone else in your state you may look at a "Service mark".

In Ky you protect a business name that way...Very inexpensive..$15

Here is how i did mine

http://apps.sos.ky.gov/business/trademarks/tmdetail.asp?id=17656&docnumber=KY017497&regnum=017497

http://www.sos.ky.gov/bus/tmandsm/Pages/default.aspx

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Here is the problem. Unless you are a millionaire and have money to burn Protecting your "name" is a losing battle.

For Instance say "register"

"Wildlife Artistry"

here are some variations somone could use AND be totally safe from litigation

Ted'sWildlife Artistry

Wildlife Artistryof Joplin

Wild-Life Artistry

Wylde Life R-tistry

THE Wildlife Artistry

Custom Wildlife Artistry

AAA Wildlife Artistry

It's a losing battle unless you are willing to fight it constantly.