1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Game Wardens

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 3bears, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

They are taught in school that taxidermist are likely doing something illegal. That means that if business is slow and their superiors think they are slacking they will panic and hit the taxi shops. A taxidermist has to work at proving he/she is on the up and up. I have a good relationship for the most part with them but there was one from the city that had a bone to pick. Just mention Bigfoot when your doing a statement and trust me when I say they will leave you alone! Doesn't hurt to mention it in a jury duty interview either.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Keep em coming, if nothing else it will show everyone, the taxidermists and the wardens, that visit this site, that there is often times 2 sides of a story. You know, it might even open a line of communication between the two groups so that we can put the BS behind us. The way I see it, both groups derive their income from wildlife and the folks that pursue them, and both, in general, have a passion for wildlife, and conservation.

3. Ive been doing taxidermy for twenty years part time and full time in the same little town. I have never and i repeat never had a game warden from alabama or federal come into my shop to ask or check up on anything wouldnt bother me if they did. I did however have a tennessee warden come "unoffically" to check on a big deer from his area but everything was cool so no problems. Not sure if this is from lack of manpower or what really but havent seen them yet. (knocking on wood)

4. Gary I agree but some times they are pure horse spit tickets. case and point
    I know for a fact this is true.

A game warden here wrote a ticket to a kid, sitting in a boat fishing out the back, for no life jacket. The boat was half pulled up on the bank and tied off, on there property. The boat is always parked there. Was that a justified ticket ? I guess it depends on how you look at. If he was sitting in the front on land or back over water. But what about the middle mud ? HUMM

I have a good friend that is a warden and customer. But I know he is a horses a$$ out in the field. But when he steps into my shop he is just one of the guys even while on duty.

5. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    That is because in Alabama we do not have to sign a license that forfeits our rights, nor do they treat us as if we are criminals just because we do taxidermy! Unless they have a valid reason to come to your place "looking" for something criminal, you will not be bothered in Alabama! A few of our local wardens hang out with me in my shop. Never had a problem at all!

6. since 1984 I been searched once. I think it was around 1995/6. Four wardens came in,one of which I knew. he told me why they where there. I gave them permission to search freezers. This is how it went down they walked into the freezer room. There was five 25 foot freezers running most full to the top. They opened the lids shuffled the top a little on the first two, the last three, opened the lid give it quick glance and shut the lid. One of the guys I did not know, said ever things all right here.
    I spend more time in the morning looking for my truck keys than that.
    We spent the next hour telling deer stories. So no I don't have a problem with wardens in the shop. As ron said a few stop some times and hang out with my regular crowd.

7. EA

EA Well-Known Member

When they introduced the antler restrictions there was a learning curve for hunters. If you shot an illegal buck by mistake, you reported it and the warden had the option to revoke your license AND fine you or just fine you $25.. One warden was being a hardazz and throwing the book at everyone he came across. His vehicle spontaneously combusted right in his driveway. Strange

Gary Alt, a Deer biologist for PA was wearing a bullet proof vest before he left town. I've said it before. I wish he would have stayed and continued to tweek his work. We have better buck now than we ever had.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Gary Alt was the very best thing to happen to Pennsylvania deer hunting. A few yahoos with political connections forced him out and are now enjoying the fruit of his foresight.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Wardens have a very dangerous job. Almost everyone they approach has a loaded gun, and many are intoxicated. Getting shot or killed on the job is an everyday reality. This wears on them with time. They learn to be cautious Letting the guard down can be fatal . I've had good rapport with most, and personality clashes with others. I certainly would not want their job.

10. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I agree. Impatient hunters applied the pressure. It was a very controversial time. People weren't used to letting a buck (any buck) walk past them without chucking some lead.

He did wonders with the bear program, I think he would have done the same with the deer over time. With even better results.

11. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Sounds just like being a 7-11 clerk!!! Which seems to be a much more dangerous job, yet they never treat you like you are a criminal....just because its a dangerous job. If a 7-11 clerk did that they would be fired...ASAP!!!!

12. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I agree Ron, I've never had a problem with DNR here in Alabama either. I have a good relationship with our district office and always have a pleasant visit when I stop buy or on the phone. I've known some of the older guys for 30 years that are still on the job after retiring and unretiring. The officers have said exactly why they don't mess with taxidermist in or state is because Alabama DNR doesn't license taxidermist therefore they have NO reason to bother unless multiple complaints of illegal activity is reported. I'm sure like all law enforcement there are some stiff bastards that you can't deal with or talk to in the agency, but I haven't encountered one yet in my area of AL.

13. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

All the Wardens around here are pretty good guys and gals.
    Im glad that they are here to protect the fish and game resources.

14. I don't have any problems with the wardens here, they are my customers as well, they recommend me to others and have sent lots of business my way.
    30 years ago I had a customer bring me a poached grizzly bear, that was sure a horror story. got a call at 5am to come to the shop, found 7 game warden cars surrounding my building and 2 vehicles circling the block. Feds, state, and local cops where all there! No tickets for me but they confiscated the unpaid for mount! (customer got a $10,000 fine and spent time in the pen). One other instance , game warden wanted to check my freezers, I let him as i had nothing to hide. He emptied my packed freezers and left everything laying on the floor for me to put back, no way to get everything back in the freezer. I swore never again let them in my freezers without a warrant.

That's not too bad considering I been doing this for over 40 years now. I respect the wardens, for a job that requires a college degree plus; they have an underpaid job to do.

I once went out on a nighttime fish shocking operation with F&G. the guy I went with had a Masters degree in Fisheries, his pay: MINIMUM WAGE! That's worse than being a taxidermist!! ;)

15. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

In ohio we dont have to be licensed either, but I get checked every year. So far they have just went through my contracts and checked for tag numbers, phone number and addresses.

Like I said our current warden is a great guy, i hop eh esticks around.

16. Gunny

Gunny Old Timer

I never had a problem with them when i had my Taxi business. They would show up unannounced and look over my paperwork then leave.

We did have a new young Warden in the area about 20 years ago that pulled his gun on a fisherman and then got his ass handed to him.
    This fisherman is drift fishing the river in one of the local Steelhead combat fishing areas. This Warden tells him to come out of the water and show him his license. The fisherman tells him he will be out when he finishes his drift. So the punk Warden pulls his side arm and tells him to get out of the water now. The fisherman walks up and drops him like a bad habit, then picks up his pistol and throws it into the river. They drug the river bottom for three days before finding his pistol. Nobody around had ever seen that fisherman before, nor could the cops get a good description. No one ever saw that Game Warden again, probably just got transfered.

17. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

I guess I'm lucky. The 4 I've got here are great. We just lost a young warden south of me. Went into a flooding home with the local sheriff to rescue 2 ladies. The home collapsed and killed all 4. Very sad deal. He left a wife and 2 young daughters.

18. Louisiana its two years of college or two years of law enforcement. No degree required.

19. Huntman

Huntman Guest

be aware, state and federal are two different things. what a state says is legal the feds say not. there is a fed law for intersate commerce. transporting across state lines.this law pertains to almost any animal product,wether legally taken or not. 90% of Ebay Auctions are illegal under this Fed Law for actual animals and their parts. In Maryland, selling legal acquired deer antlers, and selling them is a violation of a Federal Law.no misdemeanor. check the federal lawover any state law

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Not quite Huntsman, but we get your drift. By federal law, a state may make a law more restrictive but never more lenient. You're speaking if the Lacey act which is more about an individual TRANSPORTING wildlife across state lines - not shipping or mailing.