1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A cheap fleshing/shaving tool.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by aussiesam, May 30, 2007.

1. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Just thought I'd share this with the new commers to taxidermy who might not be able to afford an expensive knife/machine.
    Since getting a casual job as well as my taxidermy work I have taught my husband to do the pre tan stuff like skinning, turning, fleshing, pickling and shaving. ;)

Anyhow - I have a water buffalo in the pickle and he's been shaving it for me and when I got home the other night i found him shaving the hide, (i wont let him use the fleshing machine for the buff), with what is marketed as a Herb slicer/knife.
    It has a handle on each side, has a thin blade and has a bowed edge, opposite to a standard fleshing/shaving knife , looks quite flimsy and cost him about $7us.
    I just laughed when I saw it and after some recovery time I had a go myself.

The thing is......it cuts through the thick hide like a hot knife through butter.
    If anyone wants picture I will take one.

2. Steves Taxidermy

Steves Taxidermy "Speak The Language"

I would love a pic!

3. John L

John L Active Member

I would like to see it and get the name and manufacturer if possible.

John

4. I would like some more info too please

5. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

I would love some information on it aw well.

6. tod

tod Member

fla
    if its not to much trouble send picture and info to me also thanks 8) 8)

7. kytrader

kytrader Guest

Why not post a picture on here?

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

With everyone asking, it would save time to just post it on here.

9. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Hi - sorry for the delay - time zones!
    Anyhow - its called a 'Euro Line' herb chopper.
    He got it at a what you call a little gourmet cookware or household kitchen suppy shop and didnt save the box.
    Its about 30 cm long.
    I can chase it up further if needed.
    It had an edge on the blade out of the box but he also put it in a vice and ran a knife sharpener over it and touches it up after a session.
    Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]
    As I mentioned - I laughed and thought "him and his strange ideas", but, well, lets just say i owe him on this one. ;D

10. weazel

weazel New Member

that thing is sweet please let us know were we can get one

11. Helicity

Helicity Squirrels – Natures Road Bumps

You can get one through a butcher supply shop for abtou 10 bucks.

12. blacktail

blacktail New Member

Just looking around and I could only find them at heimerdingercutlery.com . Is there a butchers supply place that you can give us. The place I saw them on they were about forty bucks. But in the search they are very similar to an ulu knife used by the Eskimos to skin and flesh animals.

13. hybrid

hybrid New Member

with a sharp blade wouldnt that thing want to catch and cut the skin?

14. bowhunterq2xl

bowhunterq2xl Hillbilly pride runs deep

Very similar to a draw knife. Find them at just about any old farm auction. This is the knife I do all my rough fleshing with. Believe it or not, I'm faster rough fleshing with this than I am on the machine. I only use the machine for shaving.

15. GKB

GKB New Member

I have been using a carpenters wood chisel one inch wide for shaving and thinning
    deer hides.
    Works great.To sharpen it just use ordinary sharpening stone. :D

16. mrdux

mrdux Member

I recently received 2 ULU knives from taxidermist friends. They are different sizes but once I got the hang of using them, thats all I'll use for red-meat fleshing. I use the Dakota 4 for thinning.