1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

9" Brook trout. How would you go about mounting it?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Slick, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

I have a friend that called me today and wants me to mount his 3 yearolds first fish a 9" brook trout. I know there are no forms available and I can't carve my own. So what would you guys do? There is a 9 1/2" repo that I could do but I'm not sure he wants that.

2. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Rick....I'd carve it if you want to know what I'd do but only after I suggested a repro. I thought you'd be carving forms by now!! Maybe have someone mold/cast the fish and then at least you can say its his exact fish as far as the dimensions. Just a thought.

3. Slick

What about the half cast method with filler instead of a form.

4. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

check trufitt 1-800-874-7660 I think they have a form that small . and repo. heads to match if needed

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't know the particulars here, but I would carve a form. Even on a skin mount I would cast the head, so a cast of the whole thing wouldn't be be out of the question.

6. Try and carve a body. What do you have to lose. Much easier than you think

7. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Yeah....you could do that and use a repro head. You'd have to be spot on with your fill and shaping as that thin skin will show every little flaw in the anatomy.

8. RTF

RTF Active Member

Carve it, better yet mold and cast it since a trout that size will be very difficult to pull off without scale loss and shrikage

9. Slick

Carving a body is out of the question. I don't have extra money to waste on carving foam to practice on. I guess he will have to go somewhere else.

10. I shot you a PM, I might have an option for you. I also have a blank for a 9" brookie if you do go that route.

11. den007

den007 Active Member

On a trout that size, I would think no problems with a half cast. However, as was said, every tiny imperfection will show through on the skin. Media.....Sexton's fish fill. NOT Van Dykes grainy stuff. Use clay in the head and cheek area which gives plenty of time for adjustments. Seal well.