1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish eyes?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by TnMatt, Aug 20, 2013.

1. TnMatt

TnMatt New Member

Mckenzie has their fish eyes, but they also have the tohickon eyes, at this point I'm not really sure what kind of eyes I like. I like working with the flex eyes, but they just don't look very good, at least not up close. I usually make a regular order from mckenzie so I would prefer to get my eyes from there. Basically what I am asking is, do the tohickon eyes look better than mckenzie eyes. I would be willing to gt eyes from another supplier, I am just really trying to find eyes that suit me and flex eyes just don't . Any advise?

2. luke19231

luke19231 New Member

This may not be answering your question, but I have used all brands you are talking about and this is what I've found. I am pretty much a beginner, I have painting fish for a year and a half, and in the last few I have used Still life lenses by Jeff Lumsden, and I will never use anything else again. They are easy to use, have a range of sizes, and are great if you don't mind painting your own eyes. Rick krane has some videos on youtube on how to paint them. Hope this helps. :D

Luke

3. TnMatt

TnMatt New Member

This helps, I have been considering painting my own, I just wasn't sure how they would turn out. I guess there is only one way to find out, haha. It's just another step. One more question on that note, I have a few walleye, do the have eyes with the " foggy" pupil, for lack of better term.

4. luke19231

luke19231 New Member

They do not but rick has a video on youtube showing how and what to use to paint walleye eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VGf8unLmGI

5. Jillian@AnglersArtistry

[email protected] Working hard to make the world a fishy Place!

We carry Jeff's EyE and have instructional tutorial clips located for each different size due for you to watch as well. Check them all out! http://www.anglersartistry.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20_23

6. den007

den007 Active Member

You might want to have a look at Lumineyes.....www.aa-taxidermy.com

Good review in Breakthrough winter edition.......

Attached Files:

7. Jillian@AnglersArtistry

[email protected] Working hard to make the world a fishy Place!

Very Nice looking Denny! As soon as I can get Mr. Krane out of the shop with Sarmite I know he owes you a phone call!

8. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Nice looking eye Den.

9. I'm going to have to give them a try Den.

Mckenzie also carries Van Dyke Natural Eyes. I went from using Tohickon, to Flex eyes, to Natural eyes and now paint most of my own using Natural Eye flints. They also make a very nice reflective pupil walleye eye.

When going from Flex Eyes to a glass eye you will have to adjust your sizes. A Flex eye seems to be 2-3 mm larger than other eyes.

10. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Or, you could select an eye size/specie you use often and order a pair of each that you're considering and then compare them side by side. My opinion is mine and your opinion is yours, they may differ but in a case like this they may both be right--for us.

Just a consideration.

11. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

X-2 on using a variety of eyes. I do not discount Flex eyes though (ask Marty and Randy what they use most of the time) and have used them. If I'm painting an eye, Jeff's eyes are the ticket for sure. I also like the look of Denny's eyes and have purchased some. I will post a pic with those eyes when I finish up a couple fish.
    The pics posted here are natural eyes, Tohickon, and flex eyes in that order........point is there are a LOT of options of which many yield a great look....

Attached Files:

12. den007

den007 Active Member

I do think Van Dykes has the best walleye eyes currently available unless a person is going to paint his or her own. Not a fan of "milky" pupils found in too many commercial eyes as far as walleye go. I am currently tweaking some I have to make an eye that has what I call and "opalescent " pupil. It is darker, has a slight milky iridescence to it, and I will post a picture of it as soon as I get the frame of them back from Patrick of Specialty Wood Products, who was kind enough to show them at a recent NTA show. If not, I will just make a few more. Glad to send a small order for comparison.

13. Fishermans Tale

Fishermans Tale Member

I purchased Den's Lumineyes and think they are the best on the market. Finally a fish eye with nice depth and doesn't have the pupil painted on the surface of the lense. I don't have time to paint a blank every time I need an eye unless it's a unique species with no commercial alternative. Gonna use them for the majority of my Museum models if applicable. Give em a try!

14. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Hello tnmatt

Try painting your eyes
    It is a nice change of pace
    Lots of tutorials on this, and I enjoy it

Just my two cents

Carl

15. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Active Member

I have been using Anglers Art Lumineyes for several months now. They are all I'm using now. Great eyes at a great value, I highly recommend trying some.
    Bassy brown, General use silver and general use gold are my go to eyes. Great job Denny!

16. den007

den007 Active Member

Shellcracker from the Capt.!

super detailed molding, clear fins........not many crackers out there. I am going to buy a some 'gills from him.....new showroom........I like the top end and Bryan can deliver.

Attached Files: