1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dedicated?.... Is that a fact?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Joe Kish, Aug 21, 2013.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    gab, I believe I did get your point. Each individual donating to a worthy conservation cause is a good thing, I do not discourage that. My point is that a national organization of taxidermists partnering with a conservation organization could be good for both groups. A larger group has a bigger voice against stupid, feel good, make no sense laws that are proposed and enacted. Many different voices spouting out differing ideas make noise, that is ignored, but one loud, clear unified voice can still be ignored but at least it is heard.
    Taking care of the animals, which includes their habitat, that we derive our livelihood from, is taking care of us as taxidermists.

2. wildart

wildart New Member

Joe, I guess the TTAI Bylaws should read "dedicated to the education of individuals practicing the art of taxidermy".There are so many conservation groups groupsthat it would be hard to pick just one to donate to. (However, in the past we (the TTAI) have donated large sums of money to Conservation Force).Individual members can pick their favorite organizations for their donations.
    Good taxidermists draw high end cloients who in turn belong to those organizations. Bottom line---taxidermy associations should be involved in taxidermy & taxidermists.
    It's trickle down economics. For instance, if the Safari Club wants to sponsor an award ;it is to their advantage because it encourages individual taxidermists to join and participate in the Safari Club.
    The TTAI doesn't necessarily need to make donations other than memberships to these groups.

Let's concentrate on our profession and make ourselves the best there is by educatiing taxidermists.
    Gab is exactly right.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Did I miss something here? I never read it in Joe's article or did I suggest that the intent was to donate large sums of money to a conservation organization. I guess being involved, as an organization, in conserving the exact resources for our trade isn't focusing on us, silly me. Without fish, birds, animals and other critters, we would have absolutely nothing to do.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I can add nothing to that, it is spot on. The sentence 'Bottom line---taxidermy associations should be involved in taxidermy & taxidermists' Said it all.

5. michael p.

I just re-read this diatribe to see if I missed something...... and well, no I didn't. It's just Joe Kish going off on another tangent and going way beyond his allotted time schedule as I've seen him do in many meetings since he feels the need to let everybody else know he is right & they are wrong.

Mr. Kish, you have NEVER heard wildlife conservation mentioned at the TTAI conventions? Hate to tell you, you were at a different convention than I was at! I was introduced to the initials 'CWD' by one Dr. Dan McBride at a Texas Taxidermy Convention. I learned about deer conservation efforts from one Jet Smith at a Texas Taxidermy Convention. I learned about the horrible consequences of wolf re-introduction and what conservation efforts it may/will take to bring back the elk in Montana from Phil Soucy during his seminar this year in Texas Mr. Kish.

For example & with all due respect Mr. Kish, while it may not say 'saving the bear seminar' in the schedule, you can damn well bet there will be talk of bear conservation mentioned by the professional Taxidermist if he or she were giving a bear mounting seminar. I personally through the years have never seen you in a seminar unless you were giving it, maybe I'm wrong...... but maybe I'm right. Maybe you don't see what's going on right because you're too busy walking around telling others they are wrong.

Sincerely,
    Michael P. Schlabach

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Let me say this, I am not, by any measure of the word, a follower of Joe's, nor do I have any knowledge of his antics at any convention, which it seems there is some that do, but I am a little confused here. My confusion lies in the fact that most that post on here are adamantly against supporting conservation as an organization. Why? To me it portrays our trade, as a whole, in a better light to the general public. Some of those that have posted as being against it also, have also in past threads claimed they would like to see taxidermy advance into a better accepted trade, or art form. If you are against this way of helping to advance, what are your suggestions?

7. michael p.

I am in no way against conservation efforts..... but a small association cannot survive with 2 main roads to follow, it needs only one so it can stay straight & focused.

If Taxidermy Organizatins want to support conservation efforts through monetary donations or providing booths to groups, that's fine. But a taxidermy organizations one main goal should be the education of taxidermists plain & simple. I think Texas has a firm grip on that and should be applauded and not degraded because it does not fit one mans agenda.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Michael, I understand what you are saying about the state association, as a whole, it doesn't have the resources to help on a national scale, but local it may. In the Texas association there is an apparent disagreement here, at least that's what I gather from this thread. I agree the first and foremost agenda, of a taxidermy association, should be the advancement of the members and the trade itself and that should never change.
    When I picture an association partnering with a conservation group, I see a national association, hopefully with a larger membership than the states, therefore more resources. If the individual state associations want to and can, that is great.
    Now don't misconstrue this into me saying anything about mandatory state affiliation, that I am against. I would like to see a national organization that most every taxidermist wants to join, support and does.

9. michael p.

In Texas there is actually no disagreement, this is just one man saying we're not doing it his way.

Tell ya what honestly, our President Dr. Dan Mc Bride has done more for wildlife conservation than any one I personally know & he promotes it & leads by example.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Dr Dan is a good man.

11. boxerpet

boxerpet Harry Paulson-grateful

All this conversation.

Without conservation how could taxidermists be able to preserve natures wonders.

Without it all is eventually lost.

12. gab

gab Active Member

if a taxidermist thinks conservation is important,let them write their own personal check to the group they see fit.one thing an association could do is invite all of the organizations to have a free booth at their convention

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    gab, I believe the booth is a good way to build a relationship with them. Why are some completely against a taxidermy organization partnering with a conservation group? I do understand the need to direct resources towards the members. Are they not doing enough along those lines? If not then, the members need to speak up. Reading the lists of seminars at the conventions says to me, that the top names in the industry are traveling and educating. Is this not provided by the associations?
    In the end I have no more say or maybe even less than the next guy. I'm just trying to see everyone's side to this.