1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

freezer burned feet injection problems

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mimes, Aug 21, 2013.

1. mimes

mimes New Member

Ok so I go through the normal routine of rehydrating freezer burned waterfowl feet by injecting water and rehydrating. The problem is, after doing that, I never do get a satisfying "fill" with my master's blend. After drying, these feet still have too much shrinkage. I talked to another bird taxi that has the exact same problems. Has anyone else had this problem and found any solutions?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I soak a paper towel in Windex, wrap in plastic freezer wrap, and leave in the fridge overnight. Haven't noticed the shrinkage but I'm not a birdbrain and use Masters Blend.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Is it because the tissue is still full of water? You would have to force the water out prior to trying to inject MB. You can only put so much liquid in a small area.

4. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Whenever you inject with water you really have to watch them and plan more than one round of fill. The masters blend will not displace the water you injected. Fill them and check again the next day or two and refill.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Your problem is that you are injecting water into them under pressure. Not only does it force the layers of tissue to split apart - every one of those holes will let your Master's blend come back out.
    You will get better results by soaking the feet for as long as it takes for them to rehydrate naturally. If you remove them it's a lot easier; just put them in a jar of salt water in the fridge and they will be fine for a long time. A few days is usually long enough but I've had dried up goose feet that took a lot longer.

6. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

I try not to inject them, just soak em in a cup of water and dawn, lots of dawn.... Seems to work well for me.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It seems that we are all saying the same thing, but others elaborated on how to solve it.

8. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I inject with water then refreeze. When the water inside freezes it seems to stretch the skin back to normal . I do preskin and flesh all my birds days prior to mounting so all skins get refrozen. I also use smaller needles than most to control leakage. 25-26gauge work great