1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

eye set tool

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by JLW, May 31, 2007.

1. JLW

JLW Member

Has anyone on this site used one of those eye tools to make deer eyes the right shape. I just bought one and have used it on a couple of deer. This tool to me is the best thing since sliced bread. Any opinions. Thanks for your time. Wagner's taxidermy

2. oneshot

oneshot Member

I bought one and it's a geat dust collector. I've learned to do the eyes wihtout the tool and they are better in my opinon.
    Oneshot

3. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

tossed mine out after the first try many years ago.

4. hidvalltax

hidvalltax Dont travel faster than your guardian angel can go

Do not use a tool

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

We had a fight about this a while ago, it helped me to use the tool, but after the second deer I caught on and didn't need it anymore. It laid in the drawer, then I passed it on to another beginner to learn with. It is not something you would want to use on every deer like a crutch. And it is not even close to that shape the eye needs to be. You would be better to spend more money for a Saturday with a Pro and learn a bag full of tips.

6. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I use mine to cover the eye when I spray my fixative over my paint job....works great for that...I did use mine to begin with, but now I just use reference pics.

7. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

They work better if you change the pitch on them!... If you're right handed place it in your right hand and turn your body in the direction of the closes trash can. Then give it a pitch! ;D It will work alot better!

8. GUTPYLZ

GUTPYLZ "Bottoms Up"

I'm a beginner and I used it and liked it. I wanted to see how close it was and put in over my reference eye cast and it matched perfect. I'm sure I will develop an eye like these other seasoned Vets on here. It gave me peace of mind in knowing it matched on both sides. It's like any tool I guess, it's only as good as the person using it.

9. beagle77

beagle77 Rabbit Hunting

I just ordered one. How do you exactly use it? What do you do first?

10. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I learned to set the eyes first and then tried it once to help speed the process but , I like my eye set better so I will settle for being slower

11. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Use calipers, clay and fingers.

12. GUTPYLZ

GUTPYLZ "Bottoms Up"

If you go into the WASCO supplies under the eye setting tool and click the link below, it will show you. When your molding the clay, push the clay to the edges to give you a rough set. After you tuck the eye lids place the tool in one more time and push the skin to the tool edges. Be sure to clean the clay off the tool before you use it the second time. You can also adjust the set by working the tool up and down to widen the eyes for a more alert look. Hope it helps.

13. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Im with finstein on this one. If you get the results that your happy with, use it. You might find a better way down the road, or maybe you wont. Everyone thinks that their way is the only right way. We are all guilty of being partial to our own work. If we all did things exactly the same we could never tell anyone on here that their stuff sucks!! lol

14. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

i learned using it and i like it so thats what i will stick with and you can use whatever as long as yoou get the right shape of the eye in the end

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

This thread was sleeping 110 days,, until someone woke it up. ::)

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

If it works for you & you are satisfied with it use it. If you don't like it post it in the For Sale section & re-sale it & get some of your money back. Either way it's a $20-30 dollar tax wtrite off ;)

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

So is two of your deer heads.

18. michael p.

Mr.T....if I wanted any of your lip i'd scrape it off the front of my pants!

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Miranda wares the pants in your house, and my lips have been there!

20. michael p.

:'( :'( :'( :'( That's mean!! :-\ ...................LMAO :D