1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Should I make the jump or stay??$$$??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jena, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Jena

Jena Member

Just curious what some others opinions are on the topic. I am at 350 now for a standard deer shoulder mount, I have about 150 in supplies and shipping together.....I thought about going to 400, but didn't know if it may hurt more than help. Last year was really the first year I have advertised and I only put out some business cards and a flyer at two local processors. I got one fox, two coyotes, and 17 deer heads. All of my customers have been very happy so far and have taken a ton of cards to hand out and said they have been talking me up and have shown all of their buddies their mounts. My worry is that a price jump might scare em off, I am the cheapest in the area other than one guy doing them for 250 ( and their deer are scary lookin )....I'm sure some of you have seen some of my work but here are a few pics that may help base an opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

I'd go up.

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Staying at 350 is what will hurt.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Up. The cost of materials went up didn't they? If you stay the same you are working for less.

5. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Those are 500 mounts anywhere in the country. You would be fool charging less than 450. In my opinion.

6. Buckhorn TS

Buckhorn TS New Member

Nice mounts you better go up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Do you have any idea what you are making now? Do you know what it costs you to mount a deer head? (Not in supplies, but the total cost) Do you know how much you want to make per hour? Before determining what you might make in the future, I would start by looking at what you are making now.

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I was at $350 when I started because my teacher charged that for 30 years and many in my area were around there. I stayed at $350 for several years and then because of price increases in supplies I went up to $450. My business didn't drop off, but instead increased even more. Within a year or two I was so busy I bumped it up to $600. So far business hasn't fallen off that I can tell. Your mounts are definitely high quality and you deserve more than the minimum. Just my opinion.

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Go up to 400 this year, and then go higher next year.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You could really get 500 for those mounts. Since I'm sure you could get 500 why not just get 500.

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

do yourself a favor, raise your prices not only for your own good but for your customers who want a quality mount....those who know the difference between yours and the 250 mounts are the customers you want anyway.....never cut yourself short

12. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

I told you those deer are worth well more than $350!!! Better off building a good client base instead of a cheap one...

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

How can any of you give advice on what Jena should charge without knowing her situation? No one but her knows what her overhead is. No one but her knows how fast she is. No one but her knows what she has to make per hour. Without that info just shooting a number out there is at the very least irresponsible. I'm afraid that is the main reason so many taxidermy shops fail. They have no idea how much or little they are making.

14. i think you could get 400 your work looks very nice but only you know what you can get in your area

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Cole, with all due respect, I think theyre all saying her work certainly looks like its worth that much money, not what her business plan should be. In fact, I was the one that suggested staying at 350 could hurt, rather than going up, and I dont know her expenses either, but I know at $350 she wont have much room for any!

16. WTFaNatic _8452

WTFaNatic _8452 New Member

I think you should do it. Your work looks pretty solid enough to raise your prices.. Especially ,that first buck you have posted. I don't think jumping up an extra 50 is going to scare enough off that you have to worry about not building a solid clientele. Solid work gets spread by mouth pretty quickly. Especially, if you have solid work at a very affordable price. 400 is at least a 5 to 6 year old price.. I've seen a guy that charges a little more than you do now and your work is better than his by a wide margin. If you treated your customers with respect, have developed somewhat of a good friendship with them, and they are happy with your past work... They'll stay because they now TRUST you with their trophy.. Even if you raise your prices to 400.. They STILL pay almost a half less than what everyone else charges AND they still get a good quality looking mount..

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I agree after looking at the numbers she will likely find her prices aren't where they need to be. You may have told her that very thing, but you didn't tell her what to charge. How could anyone tell her that without having more information. Setting prices is easy, it's figuring out what it costs you to do a mount that is tricky. If I knew her overhead, hours, and wage and profit goals I could tell her exactly what to charge to achieve them, anyone could, it's just a little math. Firing out random numbers isn't going to get her there though, that was my point.

18. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Go sit down, list all the costs of materials, waste,,, tool and machinary depreciation, advertising business card and flyer expenses (if not now the projected future budget cost), electricity, gas cos, insurance, waste collection fees, telephone and plan fees , computer purchases , repairs and upgrades to the darn things , accountant costs and any licence fees, and youd probably be better working at Mc Donalds,,
    so my advice is like all the others , raise them over the next 2 years, dont concern yourself about those who drop off at the tail end, PLAN to harvest those customers who already pay 500 plus a piece to your competitors, and win those ones across,,

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Very nice work. I do not know if this helps of not, but its the honest truth. Every time I raised prices I was a slight bit nervous, but every time I raised prices I wound up getting more work than the year before....EVERY TIME!

20. Yea Michael, X2 on that! I am at $475.00 now and jumped to there from $350.00. I was worried also, but have taken in more work each year. My customers are interested in good work, availability, Nice and clean Studio, and the positive interaction with the customer. They love to BS and talk hunting, and that is part of the price I charge. You need them to look forward to coming to the shop and the price raise won't even factor in. Good Luck!