1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Week #35 June 1st 2007- June 7th 2007

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Week #35 June 1st 2007- June 7th 2007

Good Morning from Hinsdale New Hampshire! Well it is June 1st and the fish are biting!!! I hope we all have a great summer fish wise and get lots of cool fish to mount up and post on here for all of us to enjoy!
    Around here in New England June means the striper's are in and the beginning of some of the best fishing around in our coastal waters. So I thought we would have a Old Strip Bass as this weeks Kick off!

What a great week in pictures this past week! I thank you for visiting and taking the time to share with us!!!
    Week # 35 is upon us. Thanks to everyone who has participated last week! Well Over few thousand hits!!! Huge!!!!!! This is one of the fastest growing if not the fastest growing strings on the forum! It is because you share your talent and knowledge with others in a positive friendly manner! Folks need to see that learning is not about any thing then having fun and appreciating great work! Here's to all of you!

Last week we had some Great Fish from a lot of giving folks who don't mind sharing and helping others with some inspiration and cool fish!

We had lots of new folks and some folks who haven't been with us for a while! Welcome and Welcome back! The work this past week was nothing short of breath taking and the artist who shared take a bow for your beautiful efforts!

Each week Pictures can be posted of recent work or work your proud of to show and share with your pears!

Everyone is welcome to post, from beginners to the advanced.

So here goes! I thought I would start out this week with Morone saxatilis or the old Striped Bass! This particular Bass I just finshed is a reproduction from our good friend Mike Kirheart of New Wave and one of my favorites he has. It is on of the only closed mouth Striper's out there I have found that I really like. They are one of my all time favorites to paint and I hope you enjoy this one! Have a great week!!!!
    Rick Krane
  2. Jason O

Jason O New Member

looks great rick,

3. Johnny Large

Johnny Large New Member

4. Trashfish

Trashfish It's not easy being me!!

Hi FishHeads,
    Here is my contribution for this week. A Northern I caught and mounted in 1983. Mikie B, and Rick asked for it, you guys GOT IT. I hope it don't hurt anyones eyes!

Back in the day there was little information available on fish Taxidermy. I wish the Taxi Net was 25 years sooner then all our fish may have excelled sooner. This technique was my own creation, I called it the sand Packed method. The fish was skinned as good as I could ,then I sewed the seam and filled and packed it with sand. Next it was laid out on a piece of plywood and baked in the sun for a couple of weeks. Next the custom form was made- I emptied the sand and filled the Pike with Red Devil spray foam, Wow was that a whole lot lighter with foam than sand.

The Northern was painted with oil paints and I even painted a flint eye for it( all though it's an Owl eye).
    I'm proud of my work today, and I keep this fish around just to remind myself. TO NEVER GIVE UP
    Everyone have a great week. I'm out of town for next week, I'll miss you guys.

God bless,

5. Rick Krane

LOL!!! Terry (aka Trash fish ) just wrote and and thought I slept in! LOL! It is way to cool that this kind of post really motivates all of us fish heads that we crave the need for great fish inspiration! It is awesome to know if I ever disappear one day that this week in pictures will always be here! I some time wish that was the case with the SMQ's LOL!!!

Good Deal and big thanks to Terry for the effort!!! Good luck on yourBear hunt Big Guy!!!

My Best!

6. Rick Krane

OK Terry we have to stop typing in time! LOL!!!!! OK you got me this time! Tag your it!!

Where ya going bear hunting any way? Doing any fishing? Now I want pictures when you get back!
    The pike pictures didn't come up BTW.
    OK back to a brown!

7. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

I'm confused are there more than 1 this week in pictures? Ok I get it now.
  8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Here is the pike replica I received a few weeks back from Wynia's. I had posted of how impressed I was with the packaging. The replica was very nice to work with and is on it's way to the fisherman.

Paul B

9. Rick Krane

WOW! Hey Paul that is 1 sweeeeet pike repro! Lou makes some of the very best out there period. You did big time Justice to that Pike!!

Terry ! I know these pike I had some just like that too! LOL!

10. Terry,
    That gives me hope!!!
    To see what you started with and to know where you are today,,,,,,,maybe some day.
    Great work Paul. That's smart keeping the packing for reuse on the send to the customer.
    Just so you 2, (3 including Rick), guys know. I just received some trout from a friend at work, 1 beautiful golden and 3 brookies. This will be my first venture into the world of fishes. I may be calling you for some assistance.
    Rock ON!
  11. wildwings

wildwings New Member

OK guys sorry I been slacking I finally clean off the camera and have a few to show I hope the site crops these !

All of these are skin mounts. Sorry if the photos are not great I really have trouble taking pictures due to the very high shine of the car clear coat some day I will invest in a back drop and lighting system. Also I must say great paint job on the repro. I always loved Lou's blanks. Any one know if his timeline is finally catching up or is he still about 9months out ?
  12. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Terry is that the pike you had at our show a couple of years ago in the big case? The glass case must have had that funhouse glass in it.
  13. "some day I will invest in a back drop and lighting system"

i like to take pics on dark overcast days in shade when you have no shadows with NO FLASH.seems to get rid of some of the shine...
    also a colored bed sheet or material works good as it doesent reflect light...for a backdrop.
    also try just putting your fish on the ground and taking a pic from looking over the mount..(for wall mounts)
    and if you turn the mount around so say the spiney dorsal (back) is closest to your feet you get a totally different look to the fish.....give it a try.
    this is with a digital cam.. and take a few pics from slightly different angles..
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
  14. Heres an old stringer mount I did a couple of years ago with some repros. the bottom one is Archie Phillips Repro of the world record..
  15. Mike A

Mike A New Member

Rick the striper looks great.
  16. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Pescado do you catch pike like that up at your camp in Canada? You do great work! Every one here does really nice work!

17. Ron K

Ron K New Member

Here is a smallie I did for a customer a couple weeks ago. Nice fish guys.
  18. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Pike like that are caught nearly every season by some of my clients. The biggest pike are taken from the Montreal River in the fall when I'm up near Wawa chasing bears and brookies.

This one was caught very within a mile of my fall tent camp last season
    Kyle shot a very nice bear as well. The pike fed us for a few days. It was just a touch smaaller than the replica I posted.
  19. Natures Art

Natures Art Gone Fishin!!!

OK, I'll play this week.
    Here are a couple of Chinook. The first one is a Repro I just finished this week and the bottom one is a skin mount from a few months ago.

20. ArtistPete

ArtistPete New Member

Nature's art--Really like those Kings---especially the second one--really looks like it's swimmin' on by! I just stripped(I used "Citri-Strip" made by "Barr"--really did the job on paint/gloss removing!!!!) and repainted an Arp LM Bass that I wasn't happy with at all. Here's a B4 and after pics. The repainted one is the one on the garage floor drying....I'm happier w/ the 2nd one(I don't know why those gold scales reflect so bold on the pic--must be the flash) but it looks like I'll have to order Rick's LM Bass DVD pretty soon!!! :) This is my 2nd reproduction ever.