1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hidden Tannery Shipping Costs????

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 126whitetail, Aug 26, 2013.

1. I received a shock this morning...

I sent a javelina and mule deer to South Texas Fur Dressers they cost $41 and $46 to tan, here is the kicker.

Shipping total from Texas to New Mexico

----Actual Shipping $13.04

---$400 insurance $2.04, (I didn't ask for it)

And get ready for it...

-------$15 for a shipping box

=30.08 to ship mule deer cape and javelina cape that weight only 7 pounds total!

Do all the tanneries do this?

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

No, Most of them get the math correct...

Unless, that is, they gave you a 3% discount.

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That's not bad at all. Good gawd, they pack it in a heavy duty box so it doesn't show up ripped and possibly hides missing, they take the time to insure your product and get it to you safe, sound & secure for $30.08..... and you bitch!

They should have implemented a $5 charge for whining.

4. gab

gab Active Member

box cost $3.1/2 hour labor to put it together and apply label and insert hides at 11.00 times 1.0765 for fica.if everything goes perfect he makes $6 off your box.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I had to buy a cardboard box at a UPS ripoff store because I had nothing that size. 24x24x18. $8. I was at at the dentist shortly after that and he said you must grind your teeth a lot. Yep I go to the UPS store too often.

6. Is that all? get a life!

7. Hahahah I had to go to the ups store to get a box big enough to ship out a set of caribou antlers a form and a tanned hide. They charged me 38 dollars for the box!!! I asked what it would be to ship it to Colorado and they said 160. I said no thanks. Lol took it to the post office and it was 100.00. The box only weighed 28 lbs but they said it was oversized by 2 inches.

8. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Fifteen dollars for a box ? I tried but "I can't get that price in my area" .

9. You would think a tannery could re-use all the boxes that come in with hides. I do that that when I sell capes. Just re-use the boxes I get from suppliers.

Bruce

10. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Hah! He told you guys!

Your math is still incorrect...

Enjoy the 3% discount.

11. Dan Taylor

Dan Taylor Member

Better than Burger King ,just order 2 number 1, 2 Whoppers combos 16.85 I had to deliver that.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    So from what I am getting from this, is some are willing to pay $15.00 for a box. Are you chitting me? If that is the case I'll start listing them in the for sale section for $14.99, so you can save a penny, but I'll have to charge you a full $15.00 for the box to ship the others in. I would have to guess the capes were shipped to this tannery, in a box. What the hell happened to it.

13. tem

tem Well-Known Member

they sold it for $15.00 to the next guy. lol.

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Yep, that's what I'd want, my tannery sending my fresh, clean tans in used salt crusted boxes LOL

I don't give a crap if you're 16 or 60, And no, I would not have cussed the last at the tannery, they are only 50 miles from me, I would have just drove there, picked them up and said save the box :)

15. gab

gab Active Member

so as a businessperson trying to operate a profitable operation,i'm supposed to not charge for supplies,not charge for labor and ship my valuable clients merchandise in dilapidated boxes and not insure it because that cost $3.As a 16 year old in training instead of complaining you should be taking notes.this is how to run a business.
    Also of all of the people commenting on this post,michaelp is the most business savvy by far.listen and learn.

16. I dont know guys. 15.00 bucks for a box would get my attention.
    Without listing and getting into different tanneries practices. I ship to, Two different ones neither one has never charged for a box.
    I put a lot of deer heads in peoples vehicles in the parking lot. I guess I should start charging for loading..

17. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Speaking of boxes, My wife and I just move from our primary residence and the boxes the moving company used were $3600.00 Thank God it was a corporate move and the total cost of the move and boxes were covered. Anyone want to guess what a mattress box for a king or a hanging wardrobe box costs are ??? I do have a lifetime of boxes now, thinking about being cremated in the fridge box. ................. ::)

18. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Usually the invoice would say $30.08 for shipping and nobody would say a word except blame Ups (?) for high shipping cost's. Since they broke it down it just show's you they run a business to. It's just worded wrong , propably should say handling charge instead of box.

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Most of you are probably like me and keep a stash of cardboard and cardboard boxes for this purpose. You obviously haven't BOUGHT a cardboard box lately. You'll pay $8 for a POS thin walled box and $12 for a double thickness one. When you go to triple thick (and most use a waxed coated one at that), you'll see that $15 isn't making a helluva lot.

Here's a link to check them out: http://www.uline.com/BL_417/275-Lb-Test-Single-Wall-Boxes

Now remember, you must buy a minimum of 25 boxes to get that price and OH BY THE WAY, you have to pay shipping to get it to your business.

20. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yep worded incorrectly is absolutely right. $15 bucks for the box, inside wrappings, tape and labor ain't jack!

I typically save and have boxes on hand from supplies purchased. But, I also have a couple of sizes on hand that I ordered from either Staples or Uline by the dozen. MUCH cheaper that way and Staples delivers for free...