1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

anyone use this salt?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by reddogloki, Aug 26, 2013.

1. reddogloki

reddogloki New Member

I've used the American stockmans fine stock salt and though it says pure salt with no additives it has a dark grain(don't know if its salt or something else) spread throughout it that turns the water murky. Has anyone used this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Morton-Salt-Pool-Salt-40-Lb-Bag/16561292 and if you haven't used it, it should work shouldn't it?

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

From their website:

Rock salt is not pure sodium chloride. It contains many impurities.

95% is not pure. 5% impurities can cause cloudy pickles. The YPS, yellow prussiate of soda, is used as an anti-caking agent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_ferrocyanide

The Mortons Pool Salt claims 100% purity and would be a better choice.

3. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Work`s fine for me . ;D

4. monte_l

monte_l New Member

a cloudy pickle is not a big deal in the long run for me, I don't know about you guys but once a buffalo cape hits my pickle I wish cloudy was the only thing going on with it...I also think it depends on whether or not you are static tanning, using a wet wheel, or using a brush on, or tanning for clients. I use a wet wheel and all my wet tans turn out great and like I said my pickles aren't crystal clear...Never used the salt but if it works for verne, I don't see why you shouldn't give it a shot and test it out.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Because salt is the cheapest element of all we ever use and you can buy PURE salt for only a few cents more than this cheap crap. "Penny wise, pound foolish". Most taxidermists, especially the beginners, use MUCH MORE salt than needed on a cape anyway. I'd never use over 2 pounds of salt on a deer cape and even if you bought it at the local grocery store, that's EIGHTY CENTS worth of salt. You drink one soda and spend twice that much.

6. verne

verne Well-Known Member

the stockman salt i use is all white , looks like mortons no dark particles in it . think its 95-98 pure .

7. cyclone

Which means 2% to 5% impure...

What are the impurities?

8. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    I used to use "Champions Choice" which was 99% pure, however, my supplier closed there doors recently. I am now using American Stockman and have learned a couple of things. They have several different types of salt ranging from 99.9% pure to 96% pure. Turn the bag over and read the contents listed on the back to find the one best suited for your application. Hope this helps.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Do you have a SYSCO distributor nearby? If so, you might want to look into that option . I buy the 80 pound bags of bakers salt (a finer grain salt used in cooking but an exceptional choice to tan hides wtih). It runs about 30 cents a pound though you have to buy it by the pallet with 10 bags. Share with your friends or the local guys around you. I split a pallet with another guy and it's enough to last me a couple years.

10. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

I have used stockmans 99% pure salt. There salt is not all the same look on back of bag I used it for years now I use Top- Flo from Cargill its great clean salt. George is correct I used way much for a long time

11. Mike...dont use that American Stockman salt with the dark grain...it is crap! I tried it too and it causes a lot of slippage. Use anything food grade. Pure white and fine grained. Stay away from rock salts too unless you have the time and enough hot water to completely dissolve to a 40-45% salinity.

12. reddogloki

reddogloki New Member

Thanks everyone for their responses and advice. Since I already have 5 bags of the Morton's sitting around, I'm going to go ahead and use it at just under 15 cents a lb. I agree George that the small price differences for the types you talked about should not be a factor, and when I need more at some time, that will come in to play.

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    David Patton, did it cause issues in the wet part of tanning or the salt drying stage?

14. Both 3bears...it doesn't completely dissolve in water and causes the pickle to be "muddy". Then in the salting process with hides it would liquefy muddy in the hides and those areas would have slip. Whatever the black and grey part of the salt is always remained in the bottom of my pickles. I used it when Tractor supply switched from the fine white salt to the dirty salt and I had problems all over the my process. I went to the local smoked ham factory in Smithfield and bought food grade salt that was mainly Morton and my issues cleared up immediately. The bags of salt always said yellow prussiate of soda...not a problem with that...it was a cheaper lower grade of salt with a lot of impurities that caused all the trouble.

15. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

AS a matter of correctness ,common salt ( NaCl ) is NOT an element, it is a compound.
    Sodium ,( Na+) and Chlorine (Cl - ) are the two periodic elements that make up the compound common salt

16. cyclone

Actually, to be exact, Sodium (Na) and Chlorine (Cl) are the elements.

Na+ and Cl- are ions.
    The + and - charges indicate ions. Sodium ion and chloride ion to be exact... Not referred to as chlorine once in ionic state..
    ::)