1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Interesting find...

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by blacktailhunter, Aug 27, 2013.

1. blacktailhunter

blacktailhunter New Member

[​IMG]
    Was out scouting for turkeys and found a cougar skeleton! In Oregon were not allowed to possess Cougar parts unless legally hunted. So I took a couple pictures and called the State Police. They had a Wildlife Biologist contact me. She had me take her out to the remains so she could collect some biological samples. No idea why it died. The shotgun shell was all I had handy to show scale. Thought you all would be interested!

2. That's a really interesting find, thanks for sharing. It's really a shame they don't let you keep it. Would be nice to let us know if they can determine any cause of death. Thanks. Cool!!!

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It would have been nice if the biologist allowed you to have the skull if she didn't take it. I believe she might have been able to document it for you and made it legal. Possibly also the local F&G officer. At least you got a very nice picture of your find.

4. How, very interesting find indeed!

5. It's a shame to have to just leave something like that on the ground

Sent from my Prism using Ohub Campfire mobile app

6. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

That is an amazing find, it's too bad you had to leave it there. Kudos for doing the right thing though!

The picture is beautiful, do you practice photography?

7. So the biologist didn't take the skull, and her only interest was the cause of death? Or she didn't want to get dirty?
    It's nearly intact!!! Why letting it to be eaten by porcupines?

8. blacktailhunter

Just got back from primitive camping :) The biologist did take the skull and some other bones for samples. I was hoping that she would allow me to keep the skull, especially because I have a valid cougar tag, but Oregon law was very clear that I couldn't keep it. She was very knowledgeable and informative so I did learn a lot while taking her out to it. There was no clear cause of death that we could tell, but considering how remote it was I don't think it was foul play. The sad thing is that it was in such good condition that it would've cleaned up so nice. No missing teeth and even the nasal bones where intact!

9. blacktailhunter

Thank you Lizardguts! I'm only a amateur photographer but I try!

10. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Just curious, Blacktail. Did the biologist take the skull or leave it behind? Seems a shame for them to have just left it there for the squirrels or porcupines.

11. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Very cool find.

12. blacktailhunter

Seawolf, she took the skull to measure.

13. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Member

Man I would have had a hard time callin that one in...