1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rotten hides

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Final85, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Final85

Final85 New Member

So i am new to taxidermy and i have never came by a rotten hide yet, but i am sure in my near future someone will try and give me one. I guess my question will be, what are some of the signs i should be looking for?

I am guessing smell would be a big one, but does the hide turn color? is that where the term green hide comes from?

Thanks Everyone!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The term green hide is typically used to describe a hide or cape that is skinned but not fleshed or salted. Smell is often the first sign one may notice from a rotten hide. The hair will often times come out in bunches, leaving bald spots. Sometimes a hide or cape won't show any signs until in the tanning process.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

A rotten suspect skin, will have a nasty hockey gear bag odor, or smell like your gym bag from football practice,,

4. Final85

Final85 New Member

Thanks everyone, just wanted to verify my suspicions

5. Kydeerhunter03

Kydeerhunter03 New Member

Oh I rememebr my first rotten hide :) Guys freezer went out and didnt notice it. Chucks it in a fridge for a week after it had thawed...then takes it to work with him in a cooler of ice then finally makes it back to me. Opened that bag and about died......i had a "green" hide alright....crayon green! It stunk so bad....and some places the hair had begun to slip. The guy begged and begged me to try and save the cape as it was a very sentimental deer to him. I said I can TRY but no promises....Fortunately the shoulder part wasnt AS bad just a basketball sized slip spot i had to cut out and sew up....so I ordered some stop rot and went to town with needle and thread lol I was impressed that it turned out pretty decent!

You will know a rotten one...believe me!

6. davehyer

davehyer New Member

If the hair isn't slipping it can most likely be saved no matter how bad it smells.