1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetails are shedding their velvet here!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bucknut, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Just pulled a camera card this am and had a pic of a buck with velvet hanging off his rack. In that second pic you can see how it slid off the beam and tines and is hanging down. Had a couple others that were already clean.

Bruce

Attached Files:

2. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

That's cool. I haven't pulled a card in a week, but those I've been seeing are still in velvet.

3. Same here. Usually around the first of Sept. up here in Kodiak. Mighty nice bucks down there in southern MN, used to be my stomping grounds.

4. Elk started scraping their velvet off this week.........Seattle

5. Started a couple weeks ago here in FL.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I need to check my camera, but I remember a buck in fresh horn here in the back yard on a Sept first once.

7. We have a lot bigger bucks than that running around. I wouldn't shoot that one. He needs a couple years.

Bruce

8. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Very cool. Haven't seen any bucks shedding here yet but I'm sure some are. Season starts Friday (Sept. 6). That's a nice buck Bruce, that would be a no doubt shooter around here.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

Had one that was clean in the back field yesterday here.

11. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

I'm about to pull cards from my cameras. A week ago the bucks were in full velvet here in Arkansas.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Archery season opened here yesterday and a young woman shot her first deer, first deer with a bow, and first deer in velvet all in one 7 pointer. He wasn't "full" velvet, but the tips were still covered and would twist under your fingers. They'll have to be freeze dried for sure.

13. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Just took in a 165 inch velvet bow kill on the 8th, got it stripped down and pressure washed and drying. It will ge3t measured officially then off to be re-velveted. Its a crap shoot here in KY right now. This one still had good velvet but was showing slight signs of damage, another week and velvet will be history i think.