1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Insects...

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Lizardfeathers, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Here I will add photos of my insect mounting processes and "artwork". I have been catching and mounting insects for a few months now and have amassed a small collection of 100+ specimens. Many people do not believe this belongs on the other parts of Taxidermy.net, so I will post on here.

Insects are plentiful and are "easy" to acquire, whether by catching them, or buying them unmounted from collectors or other sources. They are pinned while soft and dried in the desired position.

I will post photos of mounted insects and displays. Anyone can comment or add to the thread with their photos. You can ask questions about the process or anything you like and I will try my best to either answer you or post a website link that has the information.

Enjoy!

2. Lizardfeathers

Here is a temporary display box for a portion of my collection...
    [​IMG]

3. Lizardfeathers

Here is a pic of the main butterfly collection. The insect were free, the pins used cost less than 50 cents and the display cost $3 at a thrift store. Comparing it to these individual species for sale (unmounted) from some entomology web stores and the cost of similar displays, this could be worth $100-$150.

[​IMG]

4. I like these a lot. Very nice work. I could have had a huge almost 3-inch cicada last week but was a bleeding heart and let him fly away. :)

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I think you'd better check your mologies. Etymology is the study of the evolution of words. Entomology is a study of insects.

6. Nice!keep it up i have wanted to try this

Sent from my Prism using Ohub Campfire mobile app

7. Lizardfeathers

Thank you George, you are right. Autocorrect doesn't take into account what the word means! ;D

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That damned autocorrect is going to be the death of me. I HATE that crap.

9. Lizardfeathers

Here is a recent mount of a cicada flushed by a shrew.
    [​IMG]

10. Neat-looking!

11. Lizardfeathers

Here is a piece I just put together today. Most of the insects are from the temporary display box shown above. Could be worth $175+.

[​IMG]

12. So where do you find the laws regarding collecting insects? I spoken with my fish and game, and they say its not their jurisdiction, that I need to talk to the feds... And the feds say its state... Nice work on your mounting.. Bugs are so fragile.

13. Lizardfeathers

Basically from the research I've come up with, there is nothing concerning insects that aren't endangered. There are only a couple insects here in Indiana that are endangered so it is easy to keep away from them. CITES protects some rare exotic butterflies like birdwing butterflies because they are collected for being the largest species in the world. You can find tons of the insects on Thorn's Insect Catalog.com that are readily available and aren't endangered. Thank you for all the complements!

14. The cheapest insects out there are at Insect-Sale.com (the company located in Taiwan)
    For example at Thorn's, 3 pairs of A1 Atlas moth cost $30, while at Insect-Sale you can get 10 pairs of the same quality for same price. Then spread'em, pust into frames and sell!
    I ordered several times from them. The minimum order is $ 100 though.

15. Lizardfeathers

I've seen their site as well, but I'm not sure if I could get insects from Taiwan to the U.S. without long waiting while in route. Insects may be different than animal skins, mounts, or bones, but I don't want to lose money and get fines/ jail time for smuggling dead moths! ;D I know Thorn's is in Canada and they can ship to the U.S. just fine.

16. They were shipped from Taiwan to Russia by EMS without problems, in 7-10 days, until final destination. They were not even unpacked!
    And the species offered here are NOT protected, so are shipped worldwide without problems (otherwise this would have been noted at their site!)
    Live insects can face import problems (everything that's not a honeybee or silkmoth is often regarded as a pest by agriculture depts)
    Most of the popular display species are overpriced elsewhere. It's the price of import.

17. Does anybody needs a tutorial how to spread a tropic insect/arachnid? :)

18. Lizardfeathers

I can post a short tutorial on here for pinning/spreading insects if needed... I suppose could post on here and in the tutorial page...

19. Lizardfeathers

Here is a video in the mean time...
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7DWwBL8MU8w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7DWwBL8MU8w

20. Thanks for posting that video. Very interesting.