1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lake Country Replicas

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by naturalcreati40, Sep 1, 2013.

1. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Has anyone ever received a blank from Lake Country that has the scales, all of them, drawn in? I mean, it looks like scales were etched, scratched or drawn in with a sharp object while it was still wet. There are no ridges etc on the scales. Now, I don't mold so maybe this isn't even possible, but that's sure what it looks like??? I plan to call John after the holiday but wanted to ask the question first. My problem is that its taken a long time for me to get the blank here, partly my fault, but never the less my client isn't too happy. I'd hate to have to take the time to send it back and wait for another. The client might not know the difference...but I don't like sending work out that isn't 100%. I know this is something that I'll have to make a decision on, my question to you guys and gals is if you've seen a blank like this?

2. slater56

slater56 Member

I had one just like that, looked like someone scratched the scales in with a knife. Called them up and they sent me a new one. Took a couple weeks though.

3. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Lake country is one great company to deal with. Give them a call first. I did do a large pike repo that had some work in the seam that may have been like you mentioned, but with painting and scale tipping you couldn't see it.

4. naturalcreati40

I agree they're a great company, its just frustrating. I mean do some except these so they keep sending them out? I don't know, I just don't think you should send work out that's not your best, especially for what we pay these days. I'm all about paying it, just want to get my money's worth I guess.

5. I have done a few of theirs that clearly had sculpted scales. not sure why they do it..
    That said they paint up fine, but I also used a water based filler and covered the fish with it, then used a soft scraper to remove the excess. then a wiped it down with a damp cloth.
    This filled those harsh cut marks and smoothed it out yet still left the scales.
    If you aren't happy just give them a shout. They are easy to deal with.

6. yea i ordered one about 6 weeks ago john told me it would be about a month, i called him last week and he told me they would be sending it out in a couple of days, still i haven't recieved it yet, now you have me worried about the quaity of there blanks

7. naturalcreati40

Yeah that's happened to me too. This time it was partly my fault as he did call several times and left mess's but my home phone was jacked so I didn't get them.

8. den007

den007 Active Member

I would rather get some sculpted scales, than large blank spaces and seams with nothing on them. If they are too deep for your taste, as Josh said, they can be softened up. After tipping and glossing, things should look fine. I like to show customers some real "old school" comparison replicas that had a flashing ground off, no inner mouth detail, and the belly and back just smoothed slick as a whistle with Bondo. Then, the scales look like a better quality fish to them.

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That's the dumbest crap I've ever read. How about if I'm paying an arm and a leg for a blank that is in their "Premier" series, then send me a blank that is nice with real fish scales. How is that too much to ask? I've gotten a couple of those hand tooled blanks and it isn't just a couple scales here and there, it's the entire blank and they look like shtt. I don't have any replicas to show my customers with thick fins, flashing, and no mouth interiors because I've never sent that crap out my door. Showing someone your work used to suck even worse than it does now to get business seems a bit flawed to me.

10. naturalcreati40

It was the entire blank and IN MY OPINION it did not look good. I want the best blank I can get with the best detail I can. This blank might be ok for some, and that's ok, just not for me. With that being said...I followed up with John at Lake Country and HE WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND TO SATISFY ME. HE DID MORE THAN I EXPECTED AND EVEN MORE THAN I WANTED HIM TO DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM. I have nothing bad to say about this experience. I have nothing bad to say about Lake Country

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Aw shucks Cole, that is not the dumbest crap you have heard from me. Remember when? LOL

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You're probably right, you do say a lot of dumb crap. ;)

13. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

A lot of dumb crap.
    hey Cole I say a lot of dumb crap too. But it usually sails under radar.