1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Super Fish Gloss

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by rfl2447, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Has anyone had issues using the Gary Bowen super fish gloss? I used it on a walleye the other night and noticed several cloudy areas even after it dried. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

2. Do a search and you will find all kinds of comments. To answer your question, Yes its over priced and not that good.
    I would say you put it on to thick. The top or surface layer started drying before the solvents had time to evaporate.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. I'm starting to learn that its not a very good product. So is there anyway I can fix those spots and not ruin the existing paint job?

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Try spraying it again...

5. TnMatt

TnMatt Member

I have not had luck with it, but if your using aerosol gloss, life tone liquid crystal is alright.

6. Use a hand held hair dryer after you spray and it will purdge the air out.

7. bowelk

bowelk Member

Sounds like your problem is an easy fix. I would almost bet you glossed during a period of higher than normal humidity. We've all done it - I've had the finish look as if someone poured milk on the fish! The repair is quite simple - reapply gloss when the humidity has subsided. You'll be fine :D

8. Liquid Crystal is a descent product but for $12.00/can I settle for something just as good or better.

Rustoleum Specialty Lacquer, $4.50ish/can, need after market nozzles or your nozzles from your liquid crystal will work. Kmart, Walmart and local hardware store.

Rustoleum Painters Touch (not 2x) Crystal Clear 1901830. These come with a descent nozzle and was recommended by Pescado, I think. This can be found on line. I will order two six packs and pay the same shipping as one six pack. It comes out to $5.63/can.

I will use Krylon Triple Thick from Nov-March with low humidity. More tempermental and softer than the other two above. Local Walmart for less than $4.00/can

9. wayne70

wayne70 Member

Try using a blow dryer on the cloudy area. I get those in humid weather.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Any automotive clear coat will allow you to keep your sanity. However i wouldn't dream of painting in high humidity conditions. My home has geothermal AC so no issues even with large fish tanks in the basement. If you don't have that option it msy be as simple as purchasing a dehumidifier.

And yes you probably applied it to heavy too fast.

11. gorbee0127

gorbee0127 New Member

Just learn how to spray in the right conditions properly.It's not rocket science.

12. I had similar issues when I started doing fish with that same product and some others. I keep dehumidifier in shop always on and no problems with haze. I use same products as Just Fish, all in the $4/can range, sometimes less.