1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

gator skull degreasing progress

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by jimmy s., Sep 4, 2013.

1. So, I have been degreasing a gator skull for approximately 3 weeks with 115ish water/dawn soap. I changed the water again yesterday and that stuff was nasty stanky and greasy (to be expected). Also the skull is a funky pale yellowish color. I have some questions.

Is this norm for degreasing a skull? The color that is.

At what point do you know ok, this thing is done?

Also once properly degreased will the skull whiten perfect?

Thanks!

2. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

1 Yes
    2 It is done when you say it is done. It will stop being "nasty", then dry,whiten and and look at it.
    3 Yes

3. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    Welcome to Gators!

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

'Bout time for the skull to start coming apart...that's when the fun begins!

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yep. The funky yellow is still grease. Give it time.

6. I got some coming .....I'm wholesaling them out. Been there done that. Got my butt kicked enough

7. JRose

JRose Member

If it still looks discolored when wet, chances are EVENTUALLY more grease will surface.

8. If this sucker wasnt 26-27/13 I would probably have chunked it out in the woods already. Ive done all my deer and pigs in the past little did I know what the heck I was getting into. I figure maybe another 3 weeks or so in there then the puzzle begins. Joy joy I will take pics.

9. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

Just so you know, if you search by my name, I posted a chart on here not too long ago with every bone and its proper place in the skull. It will be very helpful to you.

10. Update on this project... 6 weeks in I took it out this week. It is now dry however I don't think ready for whitening. The back of the skull has a lot of brownish/orange spots that I assume is grease. At this point do I just put back in and degrease longer? Also how deep should the water be above the skull? I've had just enough water to cover it all. Thanks or the input.

11. Sea Wolf

You need a good quantity of water to be able to use the right amount of detergent. If you have that small an amount of water, it will become saturated with grease a lot faster than 5 gallons of it will. The back of the skull is supposed to be the hardest area to get done. At this point, you can try soaking it in acetone for several weeks. Take it out, dry and then put it back into heated detergent and water. 6 weeks isn't long at all.

12. Sea wolf, I have somewhere around 20-25 gallons of water. I used about 2 cups of dawn as well. The water was just deep enough though to submerge the skull completely. At this point do I have to use the acetone or continue to do the water longer? Thanks again

13. Sea Wolf

Ok. Sounded like you had it just in a container just big enough to hold it with only enough water to cover.

Keeping it in the heated detergent water for longer should also work. 115 deg to 120 deg. Haven't been able to locate a gator grease melting point yet.

14. Yes mam it was in a container at 115-117 the whole time w/dawn. IIl put in back in and go from there. I know it looks 10x worse now than when I started . I'll see what I can do. Thanks

15. Sea Wolf

See if you can post a picture of it.

16. Sorry I never saw the question to post photo. This weekend ill change water/dry skull out and take a photo. Thank ya