1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey I took to NCTA. Show

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Night Hawk, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Turkey Man

I haven't done many birds n was well pleased the judge said I was off just a few points he didn't like that my head wasn't attached. But all in all we had a blast even though it was a drive from Florida
    [​IMG]

2. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Nice mount. What do you mean the head wasn't attached. Did I read it wrong or did you mean the way the head was attached.

3. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Turkey Man

It was a way that .. Brett DeFreitas showed us in Florida It's a detachable head. The judge had never heard of it n there where several people standing around n they said yea that's how we do it too. It's just detachable.

4. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

That would make things a little easier, But I can see why a judge would dock you for it in comp. Still a very nice looking bird. One thing I would have done different is maybe a little more caulk in the back to make it a little more rounded.

5. That was a really cool piece. It was good having you at the show & hopefully ya'll can make it back again.

6. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Brett simply meant...you can paint it( in your hand) after it's mounted. He did not say to NEVER attach it permanently. He carried his to the world show in a zip-loc bag in 2009, but I guarantee that he ATTACHED it permanently before judging. Maybe he'll chime in. Yes, it is detachable, until you are done with the bird!!

7. brettdef

brettdef Member

Ron you are correct. I always attach the head permanent after the final attachment. I have been showing this method in seminars for years and have always told everyone to make the final attachment prior to being judged or sent out of the shop.

Brett D

8. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

maybe I'm different but my birds are mounted first,dried,, then after heads arrive they are fit to to the individual bird ,THEN painted then attached permantly. Is that what you mean Ron,, Brett?? ohh yeah by the way Brett keep up the great work last couple of mine [heads] that came back super !!!!!!!!!

9. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Nice display