1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2013 -2014 Season Bird Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by idbatman, Sep 5, 2013.

1. wings II

wings II New Member

Saved this one...
    [​IMG]

2. GH

GH New Member

KMA..saved one! dang I would have saved them all. love those grey ducks

3. You guys have got me droolin over here!! Some great birds Glasseye! Closed the season on Saturday here in NC with two nice cans.[​IMG]

4. Good hunts everyone!
    Matt, I'm glad you got into some ducks on the last day... mine was mostly a bust. It's been a weird year for duck hunting in North TX.

Glass Eye, awesome hunt! That is truly my dream right there and I hope to scrimp and save and make it happen someday. Who did you go with?

5. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

Nice Euro Drake glasseye. I have only killed one in all my year's of hunting. It is on the wall.

6. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Wrapped up the season with some pretty birds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Ever since I was in High School in the mid 70's I've dreamed of hunting sea ducks in the Aleutians. Finally pulled the trigger...DIY.

8. bnoody

bnoody Member

Nice looking brids everyone, duck season always comes to end just as things are getting really good! Below are some pictures from my final 2 days. The bluebill in the picture looked to be the most prime bird I ever got, no brown feathers in the side pockets. I was disappointed to see the scaps and back of the neck had a lot of pin feathers mixed in. Made it threw the wheeling and washing intact so crossing my fingers he will be OK.

The last day brought us these two fine widgeon which we rarely get. The bird on the left was in perfect shape, mine on the right was hit pretty hard and knocked out a block of feathers on his back, I guess i will have to get creative on the pose as it is only the 4th widgeon I have ever shot and I need to make the most of him.

For fishhead I ended up skinning a lot of personal fowl trophies this year, I guess I need to get my act together on the birds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sprigman

Sprigman Member

Brian those look really nice but of all the birds in your pictures I would have to keep that red breasted merganser only because the other ones are common here in NE Texas.

10. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Few more that a Shane smith took when he hunted with us two weeks ago. I'm usually the one taking the pictures with a cell phone. I think it's time for a good camera.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the kinda picture that will bring back great memories in a few yrs.

[​IMG]

11. Migration

Migration New Member

October in Michigan. But I really need to get down south on one of them January hunts I see! You guys are lucky, our season ends mid December.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attached Files:

12. Migration

Migration New Member

Beaver pond hunt, first banded mallard.

Attached Files:

13. Migration

Migration New Member

Slim pickings near the end of season, banded Honker though. Plus a good November hunt.

Attached Files:

14. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    I love looking at this thread, great looking birds. It was a slow season for us this year, started strong but weather just didnt corroborate later in the season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. bnoody

bnoody Member

Nice birds guys, love the GW and Sprig, that would be enough for me to forget a slow season!

Sprigman, I had another Taxidermist in the boat with me, he had never shot a mature drake red breast. He was both pleased and surprised at the beautiful markings on the bird and it definately went into the ice box for a mount. We have lots of them here and they prime quite late, this one was exceptional. Generally I give them a free pass I have my mounters and now they count against our duck limits.

16. Henrik from Denmark

Henrik from Denmark Waterfowler that loves geese & goosehunting.

Hi Everyone.

Early this month i got me a GoPro HD 3 Video Kamera, and had a great hunt on the frist day to test it. It has a Little wifi remote so i can set i to record, on and off from my Little hunting boat. We had a blast of an evening hunt a friend and I. My friend shot 9 geese, 3 Canadian geese and 6 greylags, he had a difficult day, and i think he got what we over here call Goose fever, with the shakes and everything. I shot 24 geese, 11 Canada geese and 13 Greylags. The highest result ever. We startede out with about 300 Greylag geese coming stright in to our decoys. And from there it all went nuts. I have put 4 films up on youtube, and got to think that perhaps your Guys, and girls wanted to see how we do it here in Denmark. We have no bag limet, and can shoot ducks and geese from 1,5 hour before sunset, to 1,5 hour after sunset. I only have one camera, so unfortnually i have to eighter film with my head strap, that gives alot og enoying film that is not stright up, but tilted. My other option is to place the camera behind the boats, but that kinda ruin the WOW feeling when watching the video, cause you cant see the geese extrem close up. But here is a link, it is avalible in 1080p : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ-k-hv9F_M

Our Waterfowl season ends tomorrow, but everyting is frozen solid, and have been for about a week now, so my season is over. I ended up shooting 86 geese this season, last season i made 126. Have been sick most season, and the 81 of the 86 i have shot between now and just before Christmas, so all in all im very pleased. How did the season turn out for you?

Kindly regards
    Henrik J
    Denmark

17. Henrik, while I see you have white decoys, I must ask why the white layout boats? I just feel you would do even better with gray or neutral colored boats.

I love the video! I have a go pro as well. Have yet to use it. Was thinking turkey hunting will be fun this spring, as I will be using it for sure!

We do some layout hunting here on the Great Lakes, and everyone uses a drap colored layout.it looks like the white worked, but those birds flared real soon when the hunters popped up!

Keep the videos coming!

18. slamman

slamman New Member

Late season Mearn's hunt with three great mature cocks to mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

nice mearns

20. Henrik from Denmark

Henrik from Denmark Waterfowler that loves geese & goosehunting.

Hi Pete.

The white decoys are swans, Greylag geese are just about the smartest of geese, and learn SO fast. So I use the swans to camouflage the boats, or legalize their presence among the goose decoys you could say.

Most people over here wouldn't believe that I could trick at shoot so many geese on the water as I do. And honestly I think I'm one of the best hunters on waters after geese here in Denmark. I have been told by so many, that i start to belive it anyway :). The problem with the grey boats are that, yeah, your right, you can't see it from far away, but when you get the greylags in to about 100 yards they see it, and get suspicious / scared and won't come in for a landing on the water right next to the decoys. My theory is that the white boats and swans can they see from miles away, so they are not suprised by them when they get closer. Plus the fact that i think they compare the presents of swans with security and no danger. It works like a sharm. I have tryed without the swans, and the result is not good. We all wants geese for eating, and it's no secret that the best meat is placed right on the Brest. Therefor I prefer to shoot them In the head on the water among the decoys.

I used to drive road racing on my Honda CBR1000RR, and we're supposed to drive Danish championship in RR but got sick. My back is totally destroyed, and in about 6 - 8 years I'm so worn that I have to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. Anyway, I need a new hobby, and hunting Geese on water became my new passion. It suits me fine cause I can lie on my back, and have made my setup handicap friendly, with as few lifts as possible, and home made lightweight boats.

It's great pictures you take. Do you all hunt in the morning? There no pictures of hunting in the evening as I do. I hate morning hunts. I have to eat morphine to ease the pains, but they make me so sick in the morning, and often I can't sleep in the night, so I have stopped hunting by morning sadly.

Kindly regards
    Henrik.