1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint colors

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by miker, Sep 5, 2013.

1. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    I'm going to try my hand at a few ducks. I'm getting ready to order the bodies and such. I don't have any reference on hand but ordering some. What I need is what basic colors am I going to need to paint the heads and feet? I do game heads now so I have a lot of browns and blacks not much for reds and yellows.
    I have a mallard, wood duck, glad well ,and a green winged teal a friend gave me to try. I'm just trying to save a little on shipping. Thanks

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I prefer Wildlife Colors. A good basic list of colors to have (for waterfowl) is:

Warm Black
    Burnt Umber
    Yellow Ochre
    Stone
    Sky Blue
    Ivory
    Flesh
    Lemon Yellow
    Blood Red
    Neutral Grey 1, 3, & 5

For an orange, I use Candy Vivid Orange from Hydro-Mist.

This is a starter list. If you really get into waterfowl, you'll probably want some more colors, but you can paint most any species with the above colors.

3. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    Thank you

4. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

On some ducks I still use my airbrush but after taking a class with Kent Reedy I have picked up my paint brush and only use basic colors mixed to achieve the desired color. It may take some practice and miss mixing a few times but the results are worth it. This is one of my Snow Goose bills. Lighting is a little off but the blending is on and the front nail has a tint of brown.

Attached Files:

5. That bill looks great Rich!! I have too put down the airbrush and picked up the paint brush Kent taught me that old school is the best way and can make some real awsome wood duck bills

6. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

he uses water based oil paint from Michaels crafts. You can thin the paint down, and build color to the beak. Looks soft and fleshy.

7. dkmossyoak

dkmossyoak New Member

Can you give more details on the water based oil paints from michaels? RichMO that bill looks awesome.