1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Decoy

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by TN Bucknasty, Sep 6, 2013.

1. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

Anyone else ever done this? Instead of clay, I used apoxie sculpt on the eyes and other areas, I installed an electric tail flicker in the rump, made an orange cover with a handle and an accessories pouch for carying, used pegs in the antlers for easy conversion from buck to doe, the list goes on and on. I stuck it up out front to test the mechanics, and drivers started running off the road, so it must not took too terrible.

Attached Files:

2. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

That will work, do you have the legs come off and on? If you don't it will be a pain to carry in the woods.

3. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

No, sir. I thought seriously about it, but I did not do it that way.

4. Nice,do not sit anywhere near that decoy,someone may shot at it.

5. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

You're absolutely right. I won't be within sight of a road either.

6. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

That's awesome, I need to do one for myself...the only reason I'd make the legs removable is to position it in a laying down pose, looks good though...how much does it weigh roughly?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

7. How durable is it?Could it rock around and slide in the car or woods?

8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

That'll be the day, when I need a decoy to hunt a deer....

9. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

It should be pretty durable. The ear butts are apoxie sculpt anchored to the form with rods. Naturally, the legs are framed with all thread, and I added some to the neck and mid section. Weight is the same as any other life size. The hollowed core offsets the weight of the small motor. The motor is installed in a metal receptacle box secure with bolts. It is easily removable and runs on 4 c batteries. Hopefully, it will hold up.

10. fougair

fougair New Member

I have seen the Drury's screw a mount on a target deer body i thought that was a neet idea.Looks good but do not put near house.

11. Tracker15

Tracker15 New Member

I was thinking about shooting a doe this year skinning her and tanning her hide. Then putting her over a carry lite decoy. I would then search for a cheap shoulder mount somewhere on craigslist and take horns off and make it a doe. I would retrofit the carry lite to hold a shoulder mount on it. I have never done any taxidermy that is why i was thinking of going this route. Do you think you could glue the hide to the carrylite body? Any other suggestions? Just brain storming...

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I mounted one as a decoy for the local game warden. The antlers were removable and it appeared as a doe without them. It has a good enough rack to make a preacher shoot at it from the roadside!

13. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I mounted a mule deer decoy for my local game and fish and the first person to be caught blasting away at it illegally was a taxidermist from a nearby town. Then one of the outfitters that supports my studio shot at it from out of his truck window across a paved road. Oh well. They had a huge muley buck decoy I mounted for them set up about 150 yards up a hill off a paved road through National forest land and my son and I pulled over and I jumped out of my truck and started trying to sneak up the hill when my son who was glassing it in case it moved off yelled at me "DAD, stop!!! You mounted that buck." I would have been legal getting off the road and all but it sure would have been wierd if I would of blasted it.

14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

LOL!!! You would have been embarrassed and harassed for life if you had popped a cap on that deer!!!

15. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

It would have REALLY bad if I would have been really stupid and shot at it from the road. The game warden came out and just waved and smiled at us.

16. If you want durable, lite, and realistic check out DSD posturing buck decoy. They are awesome and dominate rutting bucks loose it over the posturing pose. Check them out- Down the road

17. silverbuck

silverbuck New Member

Why go through out all that trouble of making one when the ones you can buy are excellent and last forever !!!

18. justin_b

justin_b Just sayin...

WI
    Its pretty exciting when you use them at the right time of year. I had a brute hit my boss buck decoy about 5 years ago..he charged it and hit the decoy in the left front shoulder...sent it flying through the air. Didn't get a shot at him, since it was my first time trying it and I let him get too close before I released an arrow. No shot that day, but one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed from the bow stand.

19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Because no matter how good the plastic ones look, they will never work as good as a mounted deer. Same goes for turkeys.