1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another ups post

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by davehyer, Sep 6, 2013.

1. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Came home early today and happened to be home when the ups guy stopped. My shop is about 200 feet behind my house with a good drive way and turn around.
    I said" hey does it matter to you where you drop off these packages, my shop is back there," and pointed back to the shop.

He replies" yeah, I'm not backing down that driveway" I said " we'll you can just drive back there is a big turn around back there, and it would really help me out, I wouldn't have to carry all these boxes back there.
    He didnt even aknowledge that I had said anything, he turned around got in his truck and left. :mad: :mad:
    I wanted to punch h in his suck hole.

2. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Dave, sounds like you're getting just a little stressed about something as non-important as lugging giant , heavy boxes of forms that any one would realize you just expect WAY WAY TOO MUCH from your overpaid an under appreciated UPS driver. Take your meds and apologize to your driver as soon as you see him again. That's what I'd do. HA HA HA Grumpa

3. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me at all.

I had my own experience with them last week. I ordered parts for my lawn tractor from Sears. UPS dropped the box at our Post Office. When my wife picked it up the box was crushed, retaped together half azzed and VERY light.

She commented that whatever I ordered was pretty light. I knew then I was screwed.. The box was already 1/2 opened and was completely empty. The driver could have reached in and confirmed he was delivering an empty box. Sears had to resend my order. They must hear it a lot because they didn't even blink.

4. I have a great UPS driver, he will call me to see if I am there and if and when I will be there. I hate it when he is not on the route, have a left wing idiot lady and I had to throw her out of the shop once over politics.

5. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    UPS drivers are no longer allowed to back "OUT" of a drive! At least according to my UPS guys. They can back "IN" but not "OUT" ::) ::) So now they have to stop in the road and back up my driveway! They say their trucks have GPS and whatever on them and they are checked to see how and where they are driving. If they are caught backing "OUT" of a drive they get in trouble! As to WHY.....they don't have a clue! Apparently backing in is safe but backing out is not! ??? Go figure!!

6. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Ron, the postal service has that same No Backing rule. My sister delivers mail and she got into a jamb and had to back out of a wicked place. She ended up rolling her Jeep over a bank. ::) She was worried she would be fired, BUT since she actually works for a Sub-contractor, and not the Postal Service she was spared.

7. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I could sort of understand "no backing period" but here they can back "IN"...just not "OUT"!!! Can't see where one is better than the other!

8. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

Oil field workers are held to the same standard in many places. It is a safety issue. When you pull up initially you can clearly see where you want to back in and make sure there are no other obstacles/kids ect. Your first move is then always forward. When you pull in and then go deliver/work you don't know what is behind you and in your blind spo when backing out. It is simply a risk reduction act.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't know if this holds for UPS drivers but, I spent a big chunk of my life in construction and was told by a number of delivery drivers, that the truck insurance stops once the truck leaves the road right of way, any damage to the truck or by the truck was the customers responsibility. True or not, don't know for sure, never researched it, thankfully never had to.

10. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Ask a cop that knows the laws on the books. It is against the law for you to back out into traffic. although never enforced, it is a law. at least in WV.

I would just change my address for my shop , add a letter to it so that it makes your shop a seperate entity from your residence. then they would have to deliver it to the business. Example. your house is 123 any street ,change and add you shop to 123-A any street. of you could just get a dollie!!!

11. davehyer

davehyer New Member

he could drive right in all the way to the shop and turn around back there, the garbage truck driver doesn't have an issue with his giant garbage truck that dumps my dumpster, but the ass clown UPS driver cant drive his little brown truck back there.
    The guy is just a tool, and I would like to call and complain but I'm afraid I would never get a package on time or in pc again.

I posted awhile back that I got a call from ups after I complained to a girl that works there and they said they were going to come out and see what they could do to help cut my UPS cost, well i'm still waiting for that call and meeting, its been about 3 months now.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ron, you're right about that and UPS is now VERY picky about making any "left hand turns" or having a driver cross the street. Hey, I'm envious. The have a helluva deal .....until Christmas.

13. davehyer

davehyer New Member

They do monitor every move the drivers make, they have to swipe their card in the card reader in the truck and everything is recorded, the amount of time the truck idles, how and when the brakes are applied, how many times the truck is started,absolutely everything, I understand their job may suck, but they had a choice.

14. damonkus

damonkus Member

my post man would not pic up letters i was sending out unless he was already delivering mail to my box....but he asked if i was a member of the Christmas Club. I said the Christmas club?? He said yea that is when you give your mail man a Christmas present.

You have to bribe them now to do their job!

15. Dave its a catch 22 but have your suppliers send the packages with a direct signature required. Then he has to have the name on the package sign the box. If your at your shop he'll come find you.

Unfortunately if your not there he won't even let your wife sign for it, so its kind of a bad deal if your at work or busy.

Other alternative is to get another address like Bryan said, plus you can get the address listed as commercial through the post office and ups and FedEx will ship commercial at a 15% savings compared to the residential you have now.

16. I have everything shipped Fed Ex now, plus the UPS driver would stop about 6pm,
    fed comes first thing in the morning.

17. My UPS drivers have been really good. I get the occasional sub that makes me wonder.

I don't think its a UPS problem as much as it is a good representation of the average worker now a days. Most people seem to want to do as little as possible and get paid top dollar.

18. DL

DL Well-Known Member

My driver here is a hunter and a great guy. He's spoiled my labs. I want them to bark anytime someone comes in my driveway. When they hear him the young one jumps right into the truck to get his dog treat. A fed ex driver came in and he was in the cab before she turned around. Scared the heck out of her.

19. kurt

kurt Member

I give the ups,speedee and garbage man either $$ or a gift card for Xmas . Offer them a snapple in the summer or coffee in the winter each time. I can't remember the last time I've had to carry a box into the shop. The garbage man backs up my long driveway to the overhead and I unload 10 bags of neck meat every Monday during peak season . A little $$ and hospitality goes a long way

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

How is he supposed to know he can turn around back behind your house? I drove one of those things for years and that is all you think about when faced with a drive like that, "how am I going to get out". What happens if he pulls in that drive next week and there is a vehicle blocking his way? I am amazed at the stupid crap people will complain about on here.