1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ammonium chloride

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Orkman-X, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

Hey all

I got a call today from a friend who is in an area where he cant seem to find any household ammonia.
    Only thing he can find is ammoniumchloride, aka salmiak which would be NH4CL.
    He found a dead pony on a beach really rotten.
    he handcleaned the head apparently but the thing of course still smells to high heavens and has tissue and maggots on the inside still.
    I advised him to search for ammonia to debleed/neutralize the rot so he could more or less prep it for transportbut he cant find any.
    So question is: does anyone ever used this ammonium chloride he can find? Since it is mildly acidic, ph6'ish and contains CL i'm not sure he should use it. I even never heard of it before tbh or saw it myself in a store.

I ran it through the search engine here but only one member seems to have tried it on a rabbit. It would begreat if the chemical-experts here could help out to determine wether it would hurt the bone.

Thanks all

Marc

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Any grocery store has jugs of ammonia in the cleaning section. At least any that I have been in. Is this guy totally off the grid somewhere? I would let it just sit for several weeks more to finish rotting. Either way, bring lots of large heavy duty garbage/contractor bags. Bag it and tie the bag closed. Bag it again in another bag, tie closed and repeat at least 5 times. Should be able to transport it that way with little or no difficulty.

As it's other uses are "In addition to being used in candy, salmiak is also used to flavour vodka, chocolate, distilled rye brandy, ice cream, cola drinks, snus, and recently, meat." I'm not sure it would have any use for your friend.

3. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

Thanks Terry,

It seems the confusion got cleared up. In the Nordics, ammonium is called Salmiak which is not chemically correct but looking up the datasheets solved the riddle. Anyway, he dumped the thing now since he dont have many days left and his wife was going ballistic ;-)

Anyway thnx again

Marc

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Another solution would be for him to find a safe location just off the beach and bury it. Mark the spot with stones and go back in a year and dig it up. If it is in a quiet spot, no one will find it. He needs to make sure that it is away from where high water will reach it.