1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Something different

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by SAWYER, Sep 7, 2013.

1. SAWYER

SAWYER New Member

Velvet buck you should see my bow.

Attached Files:

2. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

definitely different...where did you manage to find a broadhead that big...that's neat. Did you make it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Artificial velvet ?

4. SAWYER

SAWYER New Member

I make the broad heads. And yes its Research Mannikins velveting services.

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

that's really cool. nice work.

6. jk

jk Member

Great looking mount. Whenever I get research velvet I always scrape off some of the hairs on the tips and air brush some burnt umber into the rack. To me it looks too perfect. I think doing this makes it look more realistic. Just a thought.

7. Whitetailfreak84

Whitetailfreak84 New Member

Nice mount. Velvet looks to perfect x2. What grain thunderhead is that ;D Must be shooting Mathews Monster LOL

8. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Too perfect WOW. I thought that was what we thrive to do. If that is the case then those ears are too crisp and that cape is too darn clean. Taxidermist's complain when a mount sucks and when they look too perfect.

9. Research Mannikins

Research Mannikins New Member

There are a few ways to make your artificial velvet antlers look more realistic after you get them. Real velvet antlers have hair patterns just like the skin on the animal. Cowlicks, ridges, and lines from the base of the antlers to the tine tips.

Here are two methods we found that you can make the artificial velvet look more real to the average person.

One method is to use a hair dryer on low heat setting and a soft bristled brass brush or steel brush. Use the hair dryer to slowly warm up the fiber and the adhesive that is on the antlers. At the same time you can brush and train the repro-velvet to add cowlicks and ridges on the tines. Be careful not to melt or fuse the fiber on the antlers.

2nd method that works well, is to also use a soft bistled brass/steel brush, but instead of a hair dryer use a bucket of Super hot water to dip the brush in. Then you can brush and
    train the velvet. Once you have the artificial velvet the way you want it it you can lightly spray it with un-scented hair spray.

You can also use an airbrush to make some subtle hi-lites. Just make sure you do not spray directly on the antlers. When you spray just try to have the over-spray catch the ends of the artificial velvet. This will totally change to look of the velvet and make it more realistic.

10. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Glad someone finally put this on here since we also do velvet replacement replicaracks.com , I have thought about doing it for awhile but just haven't got around to it yet ,everyone that does artificial velvet is going to look pretty much the same right out of the box TOO PERFECT, what separates the men from the boys so to speak is the taxidermists artistic ability to detail the velvet on the mount ,,its really not a lot different than the finish work you do on the eyes ,nose and ears on the rest of the mount,, one thing I will add is when using a airbrush to hi- lite for the best results thin your paint with about 80% thinner to 20% paint, by using this weak mix ratio you will get a much more realistic softer shading , I often use a little knoblocks hair sheen on a paper towel by rubbing this over the hi lites this will also help with blending and give a more realistic look. By the way I use lacquer paints , don't know what would happen with water base,, one more tip the knoblocks hair sheen also works great to remove paint over spray around the eyes, nose &ears

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Looks like somebody bought themselves a plasma cam. Nice!

12. Sprigman

Sprigman Member

Great job. Very clean mount

13. SAWYER

SAWYER New Member

Here's a close up look of the velvet. I think I will try to make the velvet look more natural looking with some of the methods spoken of.

Attached Files:

14. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

While it does look too perfect....it still has appeal...i'm curious, what pose is that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

15. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Here is what I would ,, lightly mist a 80 -20% mix of burnt umber laquer paint over the entire rack ( the key word here is lightly you want to very gradually to see the color change) this will get the antlers closer to the color of the cape , then do little shading ,,after that rub it down lightly with the knoblocks hair sheen for more even blending

16. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Looks like a standard out of the box revolution offset sneek .