1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2013 Hunting Adventures

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kyle Lakey, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sea Duck

Sea Duck New Member

Just got back from a Caribou hunt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. npaden

npaden Member

Shot the bull of a lifetime on my Wyoming elk hunt this year. My best bull ever by over 60". Grosses in the mid 370's, he's going to be close on netting B&C minimum. DIY on public land. I posted a question in the habitat forum asking for input on using deadfall timber as the base for a pedestal mount. I would really like to try to replicate the habitat from the area that I shot him in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several posts on my blog on the hunt if you want to read about the details.

http://www.padens.blogspot.com/2013/09/2013-wyoming-elk-hunt-part-1.html

http://www.padens.blogspot.com/2013/10/2013-wyoming-elk-hunt-part-2.html

http://www.padens.blogspot.com/2013/10/wyoming-elk-hunt-part-3-retrospective.html

3. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

We were hunting the South Brooks Range, Alaska three weeks ago. First seven days we saw no moose, it was unseasonably warm. Finally on the eighth morning my buddy and I set up overlooking a meadow between us and a small river. Made a few cow calls and immediately heard a bull rubbing his antlers. I moved up to a small tree for support while SteveO backed up a few yards and started breaking branches. He could see the bull in the brush, 350 yards away, but due to a single Spruce tree in the meadow I had no view.

The bull was grunting and doing a little more rubbing and after about two minutes, SteveO said "he's coming this way". I finally saw him through the branches of that same Spruce tree....the only tree in any direction for 300 yards. That bull came on a string, slowly walking, swaying and never stopping a single time. The whole time I'm watching him through my scope through the Spruce branches and had a shot briefly at 200 yards but it was straight on.

He finally got to "the tree" and at that point I figured I would have a shot either way but preferred he turn to my left. He did and it was over with a 12 yard shot...... 65".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

The boo are awesome seaduck

5. My sons first ever Speed Goat! Near Laramie, Wy. September 2013. I wish I could have been with him!

[​IMG]

6. Great animals everyone! I am heading to Ontario in the am for a moose hunt. Hope to get one.

Bruce

7. Good luck Bucknut! Nice goats JB !

8. My 2013 Archery buck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

My good friend and family are in Colorado for the opener. He's been watching this guy for four days and got him this morning at7:30

[​IMG]

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Something that's not real common here. Two nice bucks that were together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. BEAVERS

BEAVERS New Member

DL is that easter side of the Sierras? Looks like my area around Bishop

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It was up here in Northern Cal X6B

13. BEAVERS

BEAVERS New Member

Nice...we had that early snow which pushed all those big mulies down. Suddenly everyone is killing big deer....lol

14. My sons very first kill. I was probably the proudest dad in the woods last night. My son is 6 and we were in a blind. yesterday morning kicked off the first day to a early season modern gun hunt for doe only. The morning hunt the only deer we seen was a 6" tall spike. We went back for the evening hunt and this doe walked out about 60 yards.
    My son seen it and grabbed his 243 lined up and before I could look to see the deer out of the other blind window he had already fired. The only thing I got to see was the "old death kick".
    Perfect double lung shot.
    After he shot I asked him "are you sure you hit it"? ;););)
    He said "yep, you told me if I was going to kill one I had to watch to bullet fly through the scope and into the cross hairs. But daddy all I seen was FIRE!":D
    LOL. I knew right then it was going to be a long night.
    These are the moments I've been waiting for.

Attached Files:

15. JBell

JBell New Member

Reno
    Alaskan caribou. 2013

Attached Files:

16. JBell

JBell New Member

Reno
    More

Attached Files:

17. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Congrats to the latest hunters. Got back from a very tough diy public hunt out in SD with the GF's dad. Most know the snow storm disaster that rolled though out west. Was supose to leave on friday and start hunting saturday afternoon but with the storm going we waited a day. Got there sunday and we almost felt like turning around and going home because everything was white and could only drive on the main roads. Saw a lot of dead cattle and messes ranchers had to clean up, drifted shut roads, mud roads that were undrivable. We were on the edge of the storm with only getting 10 inches in some of the areas we hunted and it melted pretty quick but couldn't access any of the good roads and areas we were headed to because the roads were drifted shut and mud since they got a lot more snow. Did what we could hunting some other spots and new spots but didn't find a shooter mulie until 4 1/2 days of hunting. Saw alot of deer and a couple good whiteys but the bigger bucks proved tough to even find. Jim spotted this one first on our way out thursday evening but told me to go kill him and he would watch and spot for me incase he moved. Woke up friday morning to find Jim a deer and it was blowing 40 and pouring rain with rain and snow in the forcast through monday so we bailed and went home. He is going back out with some friends in a couple weeks to hunt again so considering the week we had to work with we were very happy and had a great time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Well he isn't a big one but this is California and my first tag this year and my second day of hunting. I enjoy the big ones and the small ones. Tenderloins tomorrow night for dinner and one thing about these little ones, they are sure good.

[​IMG]