1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cleaning paddlefish skull - without bugs???

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ElephasMaximus, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Just today I salvaged those 2 paddlefish heads.
    They were the former residents of my city zoo, and rested in the freezer for a loooong time (several years).
    Unfortunately, their unique long opercula are damaged, since the heads are cut too short.
    Nevetheless, they should be preserved - we haven't many paddlefishes in Russia.
    How hard would it be to clean them if bugs aren't available? (I have some, but it's the wrong species, one that destroys insect collections - not a flesh-eater.)
    I didn't work with acipenseriformes yet, and their skulls surely contain much cartilage. So... hardcore hand-cleaning and freeze-drying?
    The whole skull needs to be preserved, not just a snout with braincase.

[​IMG]

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

They really need to be bugged I think. The paddle is a delicate honeycomb. I think if you try to macerate it there will be much material caught inside. Possibly not. I have yet to clean one myself and am still searching for one.

FiremanBrad likes this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Wondering how you managed with these even though it's been a while. It's paddlefish season here and lots of folks want to be cleaning one.

4. I made wet specimens. Paddlefish is now farmed in Russia a lot more than in 2013 so I may get a bigger head in better quality.

Tnrandy likes this.