1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Importing African hides

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by davehyer, Sep 11, 2013.

1. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

My clients outfitter is telling him he is shipping his hides to Chicago and he has to go pick them up and he lives in Ohio.

What is required to accept this shipment, is there anyone or place in Ohio that these hides can be shipped to?

I assume there is but I have no experience with this, any help is appreciated.

2. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Not sure but I can find out, my client just called me and I told him I would see what I could do for him, pm me your phone number and ill call you when I find out.
    Thanks

3. Huntman

Huntman Guest

all in bound shipments can only enter the US in a designated port. I doubt, yours is one of them. an export vet cert., any CITIES export documents need to be included for USF&W, customs and USDA clearance at the port of entry, into the US. A valid Cities is also needed from the US for import, as well as total USDA clearance of any swine products, or ANY hunted trophy packed in the same crate with any swine product. Unless you are a USDA approved establishment, any swine products included with the other trophies, only complicates matters. Your best bet is to find a tannery that offers clearance service. Most African skull's are included in the shipment, adding weight, and an extra expense to you for horn and skull shipping from the tannery. Your customer, after paying the bill of lading, all transfer fee's from either Frankfort or London, then paying the final bill just to get the work in your hands, it is at that point they are spent out. Be smart, shrewd, and be aware

4. Huntman

Huntman Guest

If your shipment is cleared in a designated port, prior to you receiving it, than you have a bonded shipment. Everything would be handled, on your end. Have your duck's in line, and let your customer know, he has to spend more money, and continue to spend more before everything is in you hands

5. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

What would be the designated port in Chicago, the airport?

If so, why not cleveland Hopkins?

6. Call Hudson, he knows what the deal is. It is nt a big deal, we bring shipment into Dallas and have Coppersmith clear them for us, we have some who will dip swine and monkeys for us if needed.

If you client is spent out bring hides to the states then had they brought mouns from Africa they would have been ripped and dipped a new one!! Triple the charges for salt ed hides!

7. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Dave, if your client does not have any swine or primates, once it clears in Chicago, it can be delivered straight to you. We also use Coppersmith in Chicago and they ship my clients skins/horns straight to the my shop after clearing.
    But if the shipment does have swine or primates, like mentioned already, have it shipped to tannery that is USDA certified. I'm not sure if you use Keith Daniels or not but you can have it shipped there if needed.

8. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Thanks for the info

9. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Dave , Give me a call.
    DENNIS

10. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

. I'm surprised at this Heath , the laws have changed, they are supposed to ship ALL raw trophies to a USDA approved facility only now , not just primates and swine. If you're not USDA approved they shouldn't be sending them to you.

11. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Jerry, I will have to check on this. Thanks for the heads up. But then again I have no problem with everything going to my tannery that is USDA approved.

12. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I'm the same Heath, I would rather they go straight to the tannery, it's much easier.

13. *

Jerry is dead on right ! ALL SHIPMENTS OF RAW SKINS MUST GO TO A USDA FACILITY ! Heath I KNOW of a shipment of salted skins from Africa that went to a clients house after clearing and he was not a USDA facility. I've had USDA HERE when a New Zealand shipment arrived at my home they were nice and we got it straghtened out. If it had been a african shipment it would have been confiscated. BTW the shipment I mentioned above from africa.... the guy had the trophies mounted....5 years later the USDA took them and burned them because they were not processed thru a USDA Facility.

It wasn't my client.

14. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I'm just reading this thread and now I have ?'s about my customers shipments coming in real soon.

I talked directly to our local USDA agent and he told me that as long as there were no swine, primates, or CITES animals in the crates that they could be picked up or shipped directly to the customer or my shop. He said they did not need to go through USDA approved facility unless they contained said animals. So which is it? I don't want to put my customers $$$$$ animals in jeopardy.

I planned on sending them to USDA tannery, but not directly. I was going to remove skulls/horns, then drop off at WLG facility in TX, and from there they would go to Michigan USDA approved tannery.

BTW, they are all standard African animals Cape Buffalo, Gemsbok, Kudu, Nyala, Waterbuck, Impala

15. *

DO yourself and your client a really BIG favor...The USFW has nothing to do with USDA and THEY DON"T TALK TO EACG OTHER,'
    HAVE THEM SENT TO YOUR TANNERY FROM YOUR BROKER....YOUR PLAYING WITH FIRE...ASK YOUR BROKER....

YOU CAN GET WHATEVER YOU NEED AFTER THEY GET THE CRATE.
    DON'T SCREW WITH THESE PEOPLE... THE CAPE BUFFALO....YOU ARE ASKING FOR THEM TO COME GET THEM EVEN AFTER THEY ARE HANGING IN YOUR CLIENTS HOSE FINISHED....IT HAS HAPPENED AND IT WILL AGAIN..THE USDA HAS TAKEN MOUNTS RIGHT OFF CLIENT WALLS THAT HAVE BEEN MOUNTED ALREADY YEARS LATER.....

YOUR PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH ALL THE CYLINDERS FULL.....

16. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Just had some plains game, no primates or swine, and a Leopard shipped to me after Fauna and Flora in N.Y. All salted, delivered 2 weeks ago.