1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Down n out, need help.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by skullclnr, Sep 14, 2013.

1. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

All, have had a bad hernia for the last few years, told myself that I would get it fixed when I had time. The pain had gotten so bad in the last few months that I finally did it and went in for surgery on Wed. Boy, I didn't think it would be this bad. I am out a few days now but can barely walk, but here is the problem, I am still not finished from spring and have fall heads showing up daily. I need to hook up some kind of pump system to drain my degreasing tanks. I have been looking at some of these 115 volt transfer pumps that are self priming, anyone have any experence with these, will they work with "stuff" in the water :)

2. Re: Down n out, need help.

I have used a pond pump. Its not fast but it works and are light weight. I got mine at harbor freight for like 15-20 and some hose to fit it for another 4 i think it was. Its an idea and an option. Not exactly an answer to your suggested pump but would work on the cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. fogbound

fogbound Member

Had that surgery years ago. Recovery was no fun... Take care of yourself!

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Thanks Guys. Ken, it sucks! Not the best time to do this, I have a moose and a elk coming in tomorrow!

5. I had both sides done at the same time in Feb. I had the ones just above your pubic area. yea healing is hell when it comes to being sore. I think that if you put some thought to it you can design an inlet filter out of house hold stuff. it wont be hard to clean it in your shape but lifting buckets of water is out of the question. I would try using a sturdy tupper ware container that you can drill a hole in the bottom to attach a fitting to so you can couple it to you suction hose. then drill a lot of small holes in the container. you can take it a step farther by packing the inside of the container with screen or mesh (plastic). but make sure the packing is blocked from going into the suction hose.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

#1, do what the doc says. !! No lifting!! If you ignore it you will be going back and doing it again. Get someone to help you with this even if you have to pay a neighbors kid. For the pump .. look into what is called a "Macerator pump". <-- no .. really. :) I used to sell ones made by Jabsco and they are designed to work with "stuff" in the water. You can get a 12 volt type that you can run off a car battery. Look on ebay and see if you can locate one cheaply.

I haven't gone through this but know those that have. One stubborn bastard has refused to do what the doc says. Just because you feel fine doesn't mean that you have healed. Dumbass has gone back twice to have the surgery redone and they have told him that he has made it worse now and that they will not be able to do the surgery again.

7. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Thanks guys. I have been using this pump you hookup to the faucet for fishtanks, it uses the flow of water to create suction and drains the tanks. Its going slow and I am determined to not jack this up, but got to keep things some what in order so the fall season doesnt kill me, that said having to go back in again would be an even greater set back. Well see how it goes, slowly but surely, really letting the amonia do the work this time as I dont have any heaters hooked up. Thanks all for the help.

8. It might be worth trying a submersible sump pump. They are fairly inexpensive $100.00 to $150.00.

They are all enclosed and pump out around 20-40 gallons a minute. It does not hurt them if the intake plugs up.As long as you don't run them for extended periods of time. You just pick them up and shake out whatever is clogging them. Have used them pumping out flooded basements and such.

Here is a link to 1 i found quickly. They come in all sizes and price ranges.

http://www.pumpbiz.com/shopping_product_detail.asp?pid=61433

9. bone-a-holic138

bone-a-holic138 New Member

I use a john deere 620i gator fuel pump hooked up to a battery jump box or a small lawn mower battery to pump fluids around.they produce a decent amount of pressure and can drian 5 gallons in 10-12 min.

10. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    Darn dog, you better leave them elk and moose heads alone. Too heavy! Take time to heal first or you will be back on the table! Im cutting way back myself. Set a limit on Gators that I took in this year. Did away with one retail guy business ...im slowing down to hunt and enjoy life! I might even have time to cut grass again.

11. Dog, google " puddle pump" they work great hope you are getting better

12. I have a plug in pump I got a Lowes that works like a champ. It is faster than siphoning but still not fast. I only use it to pump out my big tank so I can hook a hose to it and drain it where ever I want.
    Good luck with the surgery. There will be a point where it will seem better every day............BUT just like the others said....don't push it!