1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning raccoon

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by TnMatt, Sep 24, 2013.

1. TnMatt

TnMatt Member

I have some liquitan in shop, my question is, is liquitan good for tanning small mammal, and if so do I have to use pre tan 110 or can I use a different acid to pickle. Or should I go with a lutan f, I am not to familiar with either and I have wondered about the mckenzie tan system. My head is spinning and I could use a little advice.

2. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Liquatan is fine. I use it for most of my small mammal work. Pickle with any number of acids (I use Saftee Acid from Rittel's). Lutan will also work, though I haven't used that stuff in years.

3. dozier

dozier New Member

Racoon's are so greasy . Flesh fat off good . Use a good degreaser in your pickle and in your neutralizing bath . If not its easy for your cape to get grease burned . I do alot of mammals . I lost a nice badger to grease burn .I Never let it happen again :)

4. TnMatt

TnMatt Member

Lol, I have learned so many lessons the hard way, thanks, I will not make that mistake, how much degreaser do I add to pickle and nuetralizer? Do I just put degreaser in the solution as I mix it up? Thank you all, this is new to me, you all have been so helpful

5. x2. I have found that regular Dawn will not degrease them well. A good quality taxidermy degreaser is key.

6. dozier

dozier New Member

Yes just add 2 or 3 ounces . I use a heavy degreaser but a normal strength degreaser will work .

7. I know a lot of people who are against Krowtann but I promise you after I tried it on a coon ill never go back to anything else. Real easy skin coon,turn ears, lips, eyes. I then take my presser washer fleshing all fat off being careful around the eyes and face area. Skin will turn white just like its been tanned, wash in a degreaser which ever you like. Mix Krowtann just like directions on bottle 3 days later pull out wash then neutralize. Ready to mount or freeze mount later. Good luck

8. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Liqua tan is a good tan , used it for years . use a acid pickle such as saftee or McKenzie , degrease good . I use a good degreaser such as tannery degreaser or any of the others will work .

9. TnMatt

TnMatt Member

Thank you all so much, great help to me. This is new to me and makes me nervouse , but here goes.