1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What can I do better

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by TN Bucknasty, Sep 25, 2013.

1. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

I have no illusions that I am in any way or will ever be in the same class as most of the people I see on here, but I'm always looking to improve. I'm teaching myself, and nobody I know of in this area knows enough to be giving pointers. The first picture was my first open mouthed buck, and the second deer is a McKenzie 4000 that I did for myself. Anything you notice would be helpful, and I have pretty thick skin so blast away.

Attached Files:

2. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

Attached Files:

• ks4.jpg
      ks4.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:

3. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

4000 again

Attached Files:

• ks5.jpg
      ks5.jpg
      File size:
      38.7 KB
      Views:
    • ks6.jpg
      ks6.jpg
      File size:
      33.5 KB
      Views:
  4. striker12

striker12 Member

ear shape , ear butt shape, eye shape , antlers look to be tipped forward a bit hair. patterns need work.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

So why are you avoiding advanced lessons instead of guessing over and over?

6. Like T said, get some formal training, especially someone who gives one on whitetails, if that will be the bulk of your business. It is worth the time and money, tenfold.

7. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

I'd love to get some advanced traiming. Unfortunately, I'm poor as hell, and the only training I can get is more reference pics, the tutorials here, and the rare occasion when I get to go see a show.

8. verne

verne Well-Known Member

WASCO has a lot of DVDs on mounting deer ; seminars and instructional . :D

9. Check out Mr Rick Carter's dvd if you havent yet. It's worth every cent.

10. Maybe its the picture but your Apex opening looks to far away.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I know this isn't what you want to hear but to answer your question, everything. From what I can tell they aren't horrible but have pretty much all of the beginner mistakes. I have to ask, if you are poor as hell, how can you afford to keep buying forms and eyes? It has been said many times take some lessons and quit practicing your mistakes. I too was self taught, I thought I was doing pretty good and knew plenty about mounting deer, I took lessons and instantly realized I didn't know chit.

12. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Not to mention that $65 dollar mouth piece plus shipping charges. Good schooling is not always expensive. For the cost of materials on 4 of those mounts you just did, you could spend 2 days here with me. If you mount 3 more like that without instruction you'd only be teaching yourself more bad habits.

So, your question is " what can I do better " ?

1. Quit making excuses not to succeed.

2. "poor as hell" has got nothing to do with it. Become more determined and make it happen. Sell, save and work to earn the money to attend a class with someone reputable, it will cut your learning curve in half saving you and making you money instantly, plus paying for your class on top the rest.

3. After class, start mounting professional deerheads, go up in price considerably, do less deerheads for more money, become king of the universe. Well, maybe not king of the universe but everything else is possible. It's really up to you on how long you want to wait to achieve it.

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you are too poor to buy a dvd, then you are too poor to buy a form,hide paste, ear liners, Bondo, tanning, needles, thread, eyes, etc,etc. If you don't have several hundreds too spend on formal training, you surely have 40 bucks to get a dvd. I would stop spending money on mounting and use that money to learn HOW to do it. When I woke up and started learning every thing fell into place. Before was a lot of spinning my wheels.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Exactly. I could use some lessons myself, I have personal goals that someday need to get met, but they won't come to me if I do not pursue them.

15. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

I watched some Rick Carter video last night. I'll be ordering that video ASAP. Looks awesome. Thank you Mr. Verne and Mr. Casselman.

Mr. Striker12, could you be more specific about the hair patterns please.

16. striker12

striker12 Member

Bucknasty don't know how to explain hair patterns on a key board. Get a good photo of a buck look at the forehead, between the eyes the ears edges ,lip line, chin, brisket . Note the hair on the shoulders , neck shouldn't be brushed stright back You 'll will see what I'm talking about. Take the advice you were given and take some sort of work shop or at a minimum take your mount to the state taxidermy comp. And ask them to go over it with you after they judge it. Lots of good people who are willing to help you there. Good luck

17. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

Good ,frank advice from everyone. There is another factor that needs to be emphasized...IMO. and that is REFERENCE. It is common for beginners to not realize the importance of having and interpretating reference. I'm sure that all the accomplished artist on this site will agree that without it you will be spinning your wheels for a long time..despite all the technical experience you gain. Bucknasty, reference is cheap and widely available,so don't mount without it. Best of luck.

18. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

Thank you, sir. I ordered Mr. Carter's dvd, and you were correct about the back and neck. After printing off some pics, I saw exactly what you were talking about. I also noticed how ragged my ear edges are.

19. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

Great advice. Thank you.

20. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

We'll make a taxidermist out of you yet!! :D Keep putting the effort in though..