1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pungent smell on mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tall tines, Sep 28, 2013.

1. tall tines

tall tines New Member

I have a customer that says his mount has a pungent odor to it. When it left the shop I did not smell anything, niether did he. He tells me that he went on vacation for a week with the house closed up and temps here are in the low 70's, when he came home he noticed the smell. Is there anything that can be done at this point, or wait for a little bit. Thanks

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I would tell him to bring it back so I could check it out. What type of mount is it.

3. tall tines

tall tines New Member

It is a whitetail shoulder mount

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Was it fleshed super clean, tanned, Dp'ed,? How did you process it?
    I had a call from someone that said their mount smells real bad like Lysol because the taxidermist powder tanned it.. I just grinned, and told him to take it back to the taxidermist.

5. tall tines

tall tines New Member

It was fleshed thin and tanned with a brush on tan.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Look at it, but the best chance is that he "closed the house up" and closed the blinds. The deer - even a tanned one- will absorb some of the humidity and have a mild odor. I'll bet the clothes in his closet smell bad too, but he'd just smelling his deer.

I had one brought in last year with the client claiming it was something I'd done. As soon as it came in the shop I hit him with the question: "How many cats do you have in your house?" He had 4 and they were "left alone over the weekend". He even admitted one will jump up on the mantle and has seen it jump on a deer mount. I told him he had cat piss on his mount. I HATE CATS and I can smell those bastards a mile away. I made him put his nose to the back where the smell was and then smell the brisket. He wasn't happy but admitted I was right.

7. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

I hate to laugh, but that is the funniest thing I've ever heard. I share your hatred for cats, especially after laying carpet as a side job when I was in school. Nothing worse than pulling up the rug in a closet where a cat has pissed for the last 12 years.

8. Alan B

Alan B Member

TN Bucknasty that is just plain Nasty! I couldn't imagine what that would smell like!...Gross!

9. I'm not trying to be smart....and I don't know you or how many mounts you have done but was the whole process performed...fleshed salted, pickled, nuetralized, and tanned or did you flesh it then directly place the brush on tan on.

10. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

If that cape sat out for a long period wet it can get mold growth. I hade one that when it left my shop had no odor other than a little tan smell.The customer stuck it in his truck windows closed in 85 degree weather. Called me a couple days later saying it smells real bad.
    i asked where he had it.He said the basement and he told me about the truck thing.Well I told him bring it back and I will try to deodorize it.After two weeks in my shop hanging over a dehumidifier the smell was almsot completeley gone. I tried everything and it still had a faint odor of mold so
    i told him I would remount it at his cost and that is what we did. Basically what he did caused the mold to grow.The heat in his truck along with a damp basement was a bad combination

11. Dan Taylor

Dan Taylor Member

Did you send the hide off to Micro tan.My last 2 deer I mounted they stunk and slipping like hell, never again I'll do my own from now on.