1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezing fur-on hide before fleshing?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by icentropy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. I just skinned a coyote yesterday. did a decent job but still had some meat and fat on it. Don't have salt on hand and didn't have time to flesh it completely. So i loosely folded it up and put in a trashbag in the freezer. I was wondering if that's a decent process to postpone salting the hide? I plan on tanning it hair on to make quiver or small hanging rug, etc. also don't have the tanning supplies ordered yet.

So long story short, is it ok to freeze hide then thaw out later for fleshing and salting?

Every online tutorial states fleshing and salting should be done as soon as possible after the animal is skinned but i haven't read anywhere where they mention freezing as an acceptable postponing technique before fleshing and salting.

Thanks for any info.

2. tom k

tom k New Member

Yes its fine to freeze.

3. If it was completely fresh and never frozen/cooled before skinning.. you should try to lay it flat in the freezer a little before folding it. Just because the folded areas can hold-in some heat and freeze slower, allowing slip to occur. Same way you would not fold-up a deer cape with the face in the center of the package and just toss into freezer. Once it is cooling (not solid) you can fold it up for a smaller fit.