1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Cape Value

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Triple BB, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Triple BB

Triple BB New Member

I shot an old buck with a real nice cape and black face this week. I usually give them to my buddy who's a taxidermist. However he said he has several in the freezer and doesn't need this one. He told me he'd be happy to send it in to be dry tanned with his other capes for $50. Does a tanned nice large mule deer cape have any value. Figured if its worth it, I'd have it tanned and try to sell it. Before I spend the $50, thought I'd get some opinion's...

2. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Your buddy must not like to make money. If I were him I'd pay you 40-50 for it flesh tan and sell. Yes if its a nice cape its worth good money. 150-200 tanned depending on size is pretty average. I'd have it wet tanned though. Or you could sell it raw as is probably for 50-75 here. Not sure on all these prices but go to the for sale section and look around at whats for sale and what they are going for.

3. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Those capes have no value, just freeze in a foam lined box for three days and ship it to me. ;) ;) ;) I may find a use for it..

4. LOL, I was thinking the same thing...

5. gab

gab Active Member

it sounds like he may be nicely saying he doesn't want it because some of the ones he's been given in the past were not caped properly or dragged or were small necked.it's what I would do.