1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Make your own scent eliminator. It's cheap, it's easy and it works

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Windwalker7, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Here's how

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMOlbkVJFyg

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You do realize, I presume, that's basically the same solution we use to remove skunk odor? Actually, I'm one of those people who doesn't think ANYTHING eliminates odor. We all just stink too bad.

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

You realize that the peroxide is going to eventually fade your camo...

Anybody use Fabreeze, not for hunting scent elimination, for the home? How can it eliminate scent when the solution is "scented"? Logic has it that it should be scentless..

I'll go for cover scent before scent elimination...Earth scent, stepping on walnut hulls, cow manure...Some of my closest encounters with deer were wearing the olive drab mechanics coveralls that I wore while cleaning horse stalls back in the day.

Stink bug stank even works if you can stand it...

I agree with George..

4. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Stay down wind

5. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Now if I can only put that in a bottle and sell it to all the gadgeteers. ;D

6. jorgy

jorgy Member

Ever Calm for deer hunting is freaking magic. Deer will come looking for you

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I agree with the cow manure statement. When I wore my old barn coveralls to the woods, I'd see plenty of deer. Obviously cow sh!t masks human body odor. But, I wouldn't go back into the dairy business just for that one advantage...49 years of dairy cows was enough for me!

8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Nothing like a nasty frozen cow tail in the ear on a freezing cold morning.

9. I think a deer smells a human with scent eliminator on him

10. My neighbor always laughs when I ask if I can go in his pasture and pick up cow pies. I freeze them in ziplock bags for deer season. Thaw them out as needed, I usually put some on the grround when I get out of the truck and step in it before heading to my stand. Sure better than spraying down with scent eliminator. I take the rest of the bag and take it to my tree and put it in a crotch next to my stand.

Bruce

11. I roll in it like an old coon hound ;D

12. Scent elimination isn't real. You can't eliminate it completely. I've used scent covers before and they definitely help. What it actually does when used properly is make you smell like you've either been there a while ago or like you are far away. I've never actually tried cow manure before, but I can see how that would work very well too, if not better.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Thank you :)

14. Staying down wind is always good advice, unless your in a situation that doesn't allow. For instance, I have a limited ability to be down wind from deer in our whitetail hunting area. The wind is 98% of the time blowing from the south and the only way to approach them is up wind (from the South), this is where the scent cover can actually be of help. When hunting any other area staying down wind is the better way to go. :)

15. ozonics

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

.BWAHAHAHA The laws of physics are always the same. Get OFF THE GROUND and you body heat will take most of your scent up with it. Hunting mountains means high and low versus morning and night. Ozinics is a con job exceeding Tink Nathans imagination.

17. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

We have black walnut trees dropping on our property.When you sqeeze the outer layer it gives off a perfume type odor.I put these in my bag with my clothes works great!

18. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I keep my cloths in a sealed tote with fresh cut pine bows and sliced apples lol. Gotta make sure you change out your apples once a week if its warm out lol ! Not scent elimination but scent cover I sapose . I RARELY if EVER get winded anymore since I started doing this.

19. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Almost exactly the same recipe. Only Dawn is used to cut the oil so the other ingredients can work on the Skunk odor. I don't think you would really need the soap in the home brew.

20. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Dont tell me you've been suckered in to buying this.