1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

white face peccary bleaching

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Keith, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Using hair bleach, can a common javelina's face be bleached to resemble a white faced peccary? Anyone try it?

2. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Never seen the animal your asking about. With that being said if the face is pure white you may have an issue. When I've used it it will turn the hair a yellowish/blonde but not pure white.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply.

Actually it is a white lipped peccary from South america. The client couldn't bring it back and wants a replacement using a regular javalina. I figured the bleach would turn the hair yellowish, but was curious if any one tried to bleach one.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I don't know about hog hair but with most hair the bleach will turn normal melanin to white IF it can get to it.
    Hollow hair is a problem and it's very difficult to bleach. If the animal has a blended color or two-toned hair, with some of it being yellowish, the bleach will leave it looking yellow because it doesn't seem to have very much effect of the yellow shades - only on the blackish colors.
    You should be able to test it on a scrap from another peccary. Get some hair bleach from Sally's Beauty Supply. The kind you want is what they use to bleach white streaks into black hair before dying it bright colors. It's a small kit and you can mix up only as much as you need.

5. As a hairstylist in my other life you need 40 volume vlights. It's made by matrix. Stronger and better. Get a licensed pro to get you some in a local supply store. If it does come out a bit yellow ( I'm betting it will ). You can finish it with a toner which will not only cancel out the yellow but will also condition it where the bleach makes it brittle. I'd tone it with a platinum. They will know what I mean when you go to the professional supplier. I got a black bear to white on a test spot once.