1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krow tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rino T, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Rino T

Rino T New Member

I have a real hard time trying to dry mounts that I have used krow tan on,i wash them really good and follow their directions but have a hard time drying them,i even put fans on them and run a dehumdifer all the time,any suggestions?

2. I use Krowtann quite often. I've never had a problem with drying. I'm not sure exactly what your talking about when you say your having a "hard time trying to dry mounts". How long is it taking them to dry? When you say it's taking too long, I'm just assuming they are too wet when you go to mount them. You can spin them in an old washing machine (or a good one if your wife really loves you ;D). After I wash the cape I squeeze the excess water out by hand and then hang the cape in the shop to drip dry for a couple hours. It's still very wet at this point. I use a short Y incision on deer so, with the hair side out, I put a towel inside the cape running the towel out through the mouth. I lay another towel on top of my work bench and put the cape on top of this towel and then another towel on top. I then roll it up squeezing out the excess water. You can either mount it at that point or freeze it for later. They shouldn't dry real fast, the faster it dries, the more likely you'll get excessive shrink. I hope this helps.

3. Rino T

Rino T New Member

I do my best to get them dry before mounting but may be this summer was a bit more humid than last, I don't know why they are takeing so long to dry,I love the product,but they are takeing over a month to dry,and even when dry they seem damp to the touch,

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Are you putting to much salt in your mix ; are you washing after you neutralize . :)

5. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Do you tumble or spin dry at all before mounting?

6. Rino T

Rino T New Member

I put exactly what it calls for as far as salt,i neutralize then wash them and l soak them in pre soak ,I will try the spin cycle when the wife leaves

7. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I tumble all mine until the hair is dry before I mount. That also reduces shrinking after mounting.

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i let mine hang a couple of hours after i krowtan. then mount. never had a problem from being to wet. and I'm in a heated basement.

9. wjwhited

wjwhited New Member

I have never had a Krowtanned cape take month to dry. They are dry to the touch in a day or two and fully dry in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure why you are presoaking the capes. There really is no need to do that unless you let the hide dry out to much before mounting. After I neutralize, I wash the cape put towel inside and the role it up in towel on the outside. I set it in a refrigerator four an hour or so to give the towels a chance to soak up the excess water. I then do my final shaving with my dakota and skife the facial area. Then I freeze it for mounting at a later date. When I am ready to mount I thaw the cape and mount it. It's not soaking wet but has good moisture and stretch. I've never had to rehydrate. It's not that rehydrating will harm the cape, I've just never found it necessary. That may be why you are having them take so long to dry.

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Never had a problem. 2 weeks and they are bone dry even in the briskit and ears.

11. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Even 2 weeks is a long dry time but is very safe for most environments. I typically do my finish work 7 days after mounting and that's after bagging the mount for the first night. I want my cape about 75 to 85 % dry before mounting. That is, hair almost completely dry and skin still damp and plyable. The skin is about right when it feels damp but is almost impossible to ring water out of it.

Everything positive comes from a somewhat dry cape. Less shrinkage, subtle hair patterns are easier to determine, it allows glue to penetrate the hide better because it is not still full of water, it takes alot less time to final dry, and lastly because the hair is mostly dry, it gives you a more accurate analysis immediately after mounting as to how your mount will look when totally dry.

12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I have had 100% success with it. Works great every time. Have mounts 8 years old with ZERO degradation. Not knocking other methods I'm sure they work nice too.

13. tem

tem Well-Known Member

X2.

14. Rino T

Rino T New Member

I am sorry I meant protex-presoak moth protection as my final soak,

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Salt is what will cause it not to dry.

16. I know that I have used KT and mad soft leather, it works thats what I know. I know if there is any problem with it it is people did not follow directions.

I have done several small mammal rugs with it, while not the best choice for rugs bobcats and coyotes have worked well for me.

Hudson maybe you saying its crap comes from the fact people can do this at home, in a tub. Same has been said for aluminum sulfate tan. Bottom line is all the tans work.

17. Hudson, why don't you go somewhere on this forum where your opinion is appreciated. Oh, that place doesn't exist! One time, just one time, try reading a post and respond without hijacking it or bashing someone. Everyone knows your opinion about Krowtann. It's well documented. There are some annoying people on this site, but your at the top of my list. Your just a chit stirrer. knock it off.

18. duxdown

duxdown New Member

It kill's Hudson for anyone to tan at home in any form or fashion. He promotes sending everything out to a proffesional tannery. Phil why dont you tell everyone your companys name?

19. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

At it again I see. O.k. Hudson I'll bite. Since most of us don't have a clue exactly what we are using and we are all stupid according to you, why don't the almighty educated scientist enlighten us to what the exact ingredients are in Krowtann. I mean, I'm sure you know, you stick to the science. It's amazing to me how some people who are supposed to be educated lack common sense.

The formula for Krowtann is a "PATENTED SECRET" and the only ones with that information is the original inventor and Brian Harness's family who purchased it from the inventor. Brian Harness was an acceptional person who would never think of trying to sell ANYTHING inferior to anyone. I'm sick of people like you trashing good people.

So in short, If you don't know what's in it, there's no way in hell you or anyone else on here knows if it is chemically capable of doing what it's guaranteed to do. Get a grip, you don't know it all, even in your field of expertise.

20. KYTaxidermist

KYTaxidermist New Member

I've been using krowtann for about 5 years now and never had a problem with it. Follow the instructions and it's pretty much fool proof. I think it's GREAAAAAAAAAT stuff. If I ever do decide to start sending hides out to be tanned I'll make darn sure not to send them to Hudson. How can you run a business and talk to customers that way?