1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"Thank you Wildlife Gallery" UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ortegageno, Oct 2, 2013.

1. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    You have got to be craping me WG for sending me this crap. The guy called me and said oh its just split in half coming out of the pickle, so I asked him how bad is it and he again said oh it's in HALF. So I asked is it mountable and he didn't say much so I said well if it's just in half then i'm sure I can sew it back up. I opened the box today and this is what I got back from a very nice Red fox I sent them. WTF this does not look like "its just split in half" Gonna call tomorrow and see if I can get credit or something. Heck this will take me all day to pieces it back together.
    Regards, Geno

Attached Files:

2. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    Re: "Thank you Wildlife Gallery"

What kind of skins are they?

3. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM

This WAS 1 beautiful red fox for my customer, now I have to search the for sale site to try and get a replacement. Damn it!

4. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

I have seen a new shaver take their first swipe and cut a fox in half, then the next one cut it length ways completely in half. Not on a customers hide though. YIKES.

5. Re: "Thank you Wildlife Gallery"

I sent WG two hides this year for the first time in 33 years of doing taxidermy. I sent them a Bison cape and a Yak hide. When I got them back, the horrible smell nearly floored me. Don't know what chemical smell it was but it sure didn't smell like any leather I've ever smelled. Well the yak hide was missing an entire front leg. I called and was told "it's possible that since it is such a thin hide that it was cut or torn off in our tumbler" "that must have been a generic statement they tell all,of their customers", again I was almost floored and quickly explained that a yak hide is probably the thickest and toughest hide in North America, and have you ever even SEEN a yak hide? It cost me $1100 to replace my customers hide (however I did get all the delicious meat). WG offered me a lousy $100 for their screw up. I've used some very good tanneries through the years, WG is by far the worst I've ever used.

6. gab

gab Active Member

there is no way it just comes out of the pickle like that.someone ruined it on a knife or on a beam.i love it when they think they can give some lame excuse and never accept any blame

7. akmike

akmike Member

i would love to use some one else but every time I do it isnt any better Hudson name me a few that can do bears without false cuts and can comb out properly

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Yost does a great job on bears, perfect hair, shine and smell.

9. Re: "Thank you Wildlife Gallery"

They ruined two beautiful fox of mine as well one which was really rare color never saw one like it in my life now gone I tan all my own small game you might want to try it its easy. Bruce

10. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

90 day taxidermy turnaround for their clients is more important than your tiny little red fox...

11. Re: "Thank you Wildlife Gallery"

Sent a bear to them to have wet tanned for life size, specifically stated on the work order ( wet tan for life size mount ). Came back dry tanned and looked like it was shaved by the mad hatter. Took me a lot of extra work. Since, I have avoided sending them additional business. It would be nice if someone from the WLG would read these post and be proactive enough to get some things straightened out........

12. pdmd2911

pdmd2911 Member

While I too have had issues with WG in the distant past, the last two shipments were nearly perfect. I just received one a couple of weeks ago (syn tan), several deer capes, badgers and a tiny still born goat kid. Absolutely, perfectly done, with no smell. I'm not advocating for them, just relaying the facts.

13. dhart

dhart Active Member

I have used WG for the past 2 years, ALUM tan only! It looks good, stretch is good and smells good. No problems for me.

14. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Re: Re: "Thank you Wildlife Gallery"

2 different facilities.

" the shnozberries taste like shnozberries "

15. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM

Update, Dave called me and he apologized for sending it in that condition, that it should have been deemed unmountable and not even had been tanned since if fell apart in the pickle. I lost a nice fox but he was able to credit me the tanning cost. So thank you Dave for hunting me down and calling me, I appreciate it.
    Regards, Geno

16. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

So he credited the tanning cost how about the cost of the skin they ruined?

17. dhart

dhart Active Member

Re: Re: "Thank you Wildlife Gallery"

Right you are, the alum tans go to their Leslie Mi. plant. Just saying, I love the ALUM tan.
    I use to use H & H until they started to really push the syn tan. You have a choice at WG and I choose ALUM

18. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Nothing but horror stories about that place from folks I personally know. Sad.

Did you tell them there is no such thing as 3 halves??? I would be livid.

19. They cut a fox in half on me to. They called to appologize and I said no worries just send it over to the taxidermy side of the house and have them sew it up. Surprisingly they did and it was just fine. I've been using the alum tan and am very happy.

20. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    For those of you using their alum tan, does it "shrink" a lot when drying? It was my understanding that alum tabs shrink more than syn tans. Just wondering. Oh yeah, specifically deer capes.